Thursday, July 27, 2017

BLACKBERRY COBBLER

I had just about given up hope of ever getting any blackberries from the two bushes we planted about 6 or 7 years ago in our backyard on the ditchbank. The raspberry bush apparently did die as there is no indication of it at all back there. I am learning you should never give up. This summer we are getting an abundant amount of blackberries. 

I have been freezing them all so we can enjoy them the rest of the year. I haven't kept a record of how many packages (4 cups in each bag) I have made, but I bet I have 8 or so bags so far. Well, Tuesday night I decided it was time to enjoy some. I found a new recipe for blackberry cobbler that only has 199 calories in a serving (mine had even less because I used stevia on the berries instead of sugar) and between fixing dinner and eating dinner, I made it so we could enjoy it afterwards. 

The recipe belonged to Leslie Browning from Lexington, Kentucky and was in that crazy titled cookbook from Taste of Home called Comfort Food Diet Cookbook. As I said when I shared another recipe from it Swiss Chicken Supreme, that seems like an oxymoron - comfort food and diet. 

This recipe is definitely a keeper. (I have shared several other recipes for blackberry cobbler so you might want to check them out also - Amish Blackberry CobblerBlackberry Cobbler with Pecan Coconut Cookie ToppingBlackberry Pudding Cake another recipe from the Amish, Skillet Blackberry Cobbler, and one last one from Friend Sue simply called Blackberry Cobbler.)

We didn't, but you might want to enjoy a little ice cream with it. I am looking forward to finding other recipes for my blackberries and trust me I will be sharing them with you (as long as they pass the taste tests).


BLACKBERRY COBBLER

1/2       cup sugar (I did use stevia for this cup)
4-1/2   teaspoons quick-cooking tapioca
1/4       teaspoon ground allspice
5          cups fresh or frozen blackberries, thawed
2          tablespoons orange juice

DOUGH:

1           cup flour
1/3       cup + 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
1/4       teaspoon baking soda
1/4       teaspoon salt
1/3       cup reduced-fat vanilla yogurt (I used greek yogurt)
1/3       cup fat-free milk
3          tablespoons butter, melted

In a large bowl, combine sugar, tapioca, and allspice.
Add blackberries and orange juice, toss to coat. Let stand 15 minutes.





Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.

Spoon blackberry mixture into baking dish.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt to make the dough.
Combine the milk, yogurt, and butter.
Stir yogurt mixture into dry ingredients and
stir til smooth.

Spread over the berry mixture.

Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining sugar. (I sprinkled the remaining sugar on top before baking the 20 minutes.)
Bake 25 to 30 more minutes or until golden brown.


Serve warm.


No comments:

Post a Comment