Tuesday, April 18, 2017

BLACKBERRY COBBLER WITH A PECAN COCONUT COOKIE TOPPING

I almost forgot that I had bought four 6 - oz packages of fresh blackberries a week or so ago at Aldi. They were only 99 cents each so I couldn't pass them up. The problem, or almost problem, was I had other things to make right then and just put them in the crisper with the other fruit in my refrigerator. Saturday while looking for something else in the refrigerator, I saw them. The funny thing was right after that I found a recipe for this Blackberry Cobbler with a Pecan Coconut Cookie topping that I had printed sometime. Not sure when and not sure where I saw it. It was inspired by Kathleen Smith from gonnawantseconds.com.

I made a few changes and my husband and I were very pleased with the outcome. We started reducing our sugar intake a number of years ago and actually have a hard time eating desserts that are really sweet (like ones I used to make). I was telling my husband the changes I had made and he suggested I tell you that it wasn't real sweet. I reminded him that anyone who likes things "sweet" won't be using unsweetened coconut. Using just a little bit less sugar doesn't make that much difference, but using unsweetened coconut will.

Since the cobbler was cooled when we finally ate some, we heated our servings (one at a time) in the microwave for 30 seconds. Didn't have any ice cream, but I bet it would taste really good with a scoop if you like ice cream with your cobbler.



BLACKBERRY COBBLER with a PECAN COCONUT COOKIE TOPPING

4         6 - oz pkgs fresh blackberries (a little more than 4 cups)
1/2      cup sugar
2         tablespoons instant tapioca
1          tablespoon fresh lime juice (I used the bottled kind)
            pinch of salt

Topping:

1         cup flour
1         cup coconut (I used unsweetened coconut)
1/2     cup sugar
1/2     cup pecans, chopped
1/2     teaspoon baking powder
1/4     teaspoon salt
1/2     cup cold unsalted butter
1         large egg, slightly beaten

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a large bowl sprinkle the lime juice over the berries. Then gently toss the berries with the sugar, tapioca, and salt. 

Pour berries into a 1-1/2 quart baking dish. (I used a shallow 1-1/2 quart dish

In a large bowl, combine the flour, coconut, sugar, pecans, baking powder, and salt until ingredients are evenly distributed.

Cut butter into thin slices and cut them into flour mixture.
(I think the best way to do this is with your fingers. Mash up the butter slabs until the butter is in small pieces.)
Keep working with the mixture until no ingredients are dry.


Beat the egg, slightly.

Add to mixture and stir with a fork until
no ingredients are dry.

Crumble the dough over the berries.

Bake for 45 - 50 minutes or until the filling is bubbly and the topping is turning brown.

Cool completely before serving.

Heated a little....


No comments:

Post a Comment