Monday, April 10, 2017

GLAZED DOUGHNUT MUFFINS

A friend shared this recipe on Facebook and they looked so good I knew I had to try them sometimes. The opportunity came last Saturday morning. It seemed like a good time for me to make them and enjoy a few and give the rest to the boys next door. (I guess I ought to call them "young men" since "boys" sounds like kids, but I have gotten used to "boys" and it will take an effort on my part for me to change.)

We are so thankful having them living next door. Sean, Jeff, and Wyatt are all in their early-mid 20s and are techies. It is always interesting to hear what new technology they have or use in their house. When they moved in and we met Sean for the first time, he told me what they did and if we ever needed any help with our computer, etc, just ask. We have held them to that offer, too. I also told them about my blog and if they were willing, I would use them as my test kitchen (along with the volunteers from Hillcrest Thrift Shop). They were more than willing to take me up on my offer. We collect each others' mail when we go out of town and try to keep an eye out on each other's property. (We felt so bad when right after they moved in, someone stole Wyatt's car he had taken out of the garage and parked on the street right in front of their house. He also had a package taken from their front door a week or so later. We told him we had never had any problems except when someone stole the license plates off my husband's truck a few years ago - but that was because they had stolen a truck like ours and wanted the plates to seem okay if the police traced them. Wyatt hasn't had any other issues but we try to be more alert too.)



GLAZED DOUGHNUT MUFFINS

1/4      cup butter
1/4      cup oil
1/2      cup sugar
1/3      cup brown sugar
2         large eggs
1-1/2   teaspoon baking powder
1/4      teaspoon baking soda
3/4     teaspoon ground nutmeg
1          teaspoon cinnamon
3/4     teaspoon salt
1          teaspoon vanilla
2-2/3 cups flour
1          cup milk
3         tablespoons butter, melted
1          cup powdered sugar, sifted
3/4     teaspoon vanilla
2         tablespoons hot water

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a 12 - cups muffin tin with muffin liners


In a mixing bowl, beat the butter, oil, and sugar til smooth.


Beat in eggs, one at a time.


Add the baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla to mixture on low
just until ingredients are combined.


Stir in the flour alternately with the milk beginning and ending with the flour.
(I do about 1/3 at a time of the flour and
1/2 of the milk twice.)
Do not over mix. (You can get the last of the flour on the sides when you scrap the sides of the bowl.)


Fill the cups and smooth out tops with your finger. (I use my ice cream scoop to measure just the right amount.)


Bake for 15 to 17 minutes until tops are lightly brown and springy to the touch.

Cool muffins for 5 minutes in pan on wire rack.


Remove muffins and cool for about 10 more minutes.




Prepare glaze:


Mix the melted butter, powdered sugar, vanilla, and hot water in medium sized bowl
with a whisk until smooth.


Dip muffin tops in glaze and return to wire rack.


Allow glaze to hardened and then dip the tops a second time.


Serve when glaze has hardened. (I'm not sure my husband waited that long before he was asking me if they were ready to eat. ; ) )




recipe courtesy of eatingonadime

No comments:

Post a Comment