Tuesday, April 11, 2017

AMISH SOUR CREAM CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

My cookie jar is empty! So you know what that means! Time to bake some more cookies.

My friend Kevin over at amish365.com shared this recipe for Amish Sour Cream Chocolate Chip Cookies and I copied it down to try sometime. I am not sure but I may have cut the ingredients in half because I only wanted to make about 3 dozen cookies. Unless I am making them to give or take somewhere, I usually like to make only about that many cookies. That way they stay fresh and we get a variety of different cookies, also.



AMISH SOUR CREAM CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

1/2         cup brown sugar
1/2         cup granulated sugar
1/4         cup oil
1/4         cup sour cream (I used light sour cream)
1             egg
1/2         teaspoon baking soda
1/4         teaspoon salt
1-1/2      cups flour
1/2         cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease 2 cookies sheets/

Combine the ingredients in the order listed and mix well until dough is smooth and chocolate chips are evenly mixed.


I combined the sugars, oil, sour cream, and egg first and
stirred til smooth.


Then I added the baking soda, salt and flour.


Lastly, I added the chocolate chips.


Drop cookie dough by tablespoons about 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. (My tablespoon cookie scoop worked just great.)


Bake for 15 minutes. (The cookies I baked on my darker cookie sheet browned around the edges. The ones one the shiny cookie sheet didn't brown at all around the edges.)


Remove and cool completely on wire rack.





I took most of them to share with my grandchildren so that means I will be baking some more in a day or two.

12 comments:

  1. Just to verify, that's 1-1/2 (one and one half) cups of flour, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! Thanks Lucy for catching my error. It is 1-1/2 cups of flour. Patricia

      Delete
  2. No leavening agent?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I answered on the other person who also questioned the recipe. I always feel so bad when I make a mistake in the recipe. I checked the recipe on Kevin's blog and saw that I had omitted the baking soda. I changed the recipe to reflect the baking soda. Still feeling bad, I decided to dig through the recycle tub to find the piece of paper where I had written down the recipe. Above I said I thought I had cut the recipe in half. Actually I reduced it to 1/4 of Kevin's recipe. When I wrote the recipe down, I omitted the baking soda. That means when I made the recipe above, I left out the baking soda. I guess the 1/4 teaspoon was so little that it didn't ruin my cookies that I made. They were really good and didn't last long in my cookie jar. Patricia

      Delete
  3. We wondered that, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you will read the above answer also. Patricia

      Delete
  4. I hope the writer replies as i am afraid to try this without some clarification.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the baking soda. I have corrected the recipe. I hope you will try them as they are really good. Patricia

      Delete
  5. The original recipe is very similar to a recipe my family has passed down for ages with the exception of the vegetable oil. Our recipe calls for shortening, such as Crisco. We also refrigerate our dough overnight.
    I'm very curious if the vegetable oil yields the same texture as when I'm used to with the Crisco.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Refrigerating the dough solidifies the fat (shortening) and then when you bake the cookies, they don't spread as much. The only time I have ever substituted oil for shortening is in recipes that call for shortening melted. As far as a recipe calling for shortening or oil, I would think the difference might be if you don't break down the shortening completely. I know when I use butter or shortening in biscuits, I leave small pieces of the butter or shortening in the dough batter. It makes a flakier biscuit, I think. In this cookie, I would say the difference might be the oil is going to make a smoother batter. I think the cookie would be the same though. This cookie was very soft. Thanks for your question. If you try it, let me know what you think. Patricia

      Delete
  6. Hi, I've had this recipe for a while but just made them for the first time today. They are very good!! The cookies drew a 2 thumbs up from my son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David, I'm so glad you finally made the cookies and that your son enjoyed them so much. Thanks for sharing. Patricia

      Delete