Thursday, April 27, 2017

MOTHER'S BAKED CARAMEL POPCORN

I found this recipe among my mother's and put it aside to make the next time we had friends over to play card. That opportunity arose last Friday. (Friends Jan and Byron especially loved it. Byron said it tasted like Cracker Jacks. He even asked me how I made it.) I know Mother had the recipe for a long time because she had typed it on the recipe card. Back about the time I got married in the 70s that was something we were doing....typing recipes on cards.




BAKED CARAMEL POPCORN

3      quarts popped pop corn (I used 1-1/2 bags of microwave popcorn to get the 3 quarts.)
1/2   cup chopped pecans
1/2   cup margarine (1 stick)
1       cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4   cup light corn syrup
1/2   teaspoon salt
1/4   teaspoon baking soda
1/2   teaspoon vanilla

Combine the popcorn and pecans.


Grease a 15 x 10 - inch pan. Spread the popcorn and pecans evenly on the pan. (The pecans didn't want to cooperate with me.)


In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the margarine.


Then add the brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt.


Bring to a boil (over medium heat - won't take long at all) and boil 5 minutes without stirring. (As soon as it started boiling, I set my timer for 5 minutes.)


Remove from heat, and stir in baking soda and vanilla.


Pour syrup over popcorn as evenly as possible .... try not to just dump it....it will be harder to spread over popcorn....(I speak from experience.  You can see where I dumped too much - I think I stopped for my husband to take the picture and too much came out right there.)
stirring until popcorn is fairly evenly coated. (I had to work fast so I called my husband to help by taking a picture.)


Bake for 30 minutes.  

(This is where Mother's recipe ends and I continue....)


Remove and stir again as the caramel will melt to the bottom of the pan.  


After you have gotten all of the caramel off the bottom of the pan, place popcorn in a large bowl to completely cool.





When cooled, break it up with your hands into bite - sized pieces.

Personal note. I wrote this post two years ago and never published it. Initially I just wasn't sure and then probably just forgot about it. The popcorn tasted really good. I think I was a little disappointed because it wasn't completely covered. I'm not sure if it was because I didn't do a great job pouring the caramel mixture out evenly over it or maybe if I had used just a little too much popcorn. Maybe both are reasons. I would love hearing from you if you make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment