Friday, April 14, 2017

CHOCOLATE CHERRY CHUNK COOKIES

I saved this recipe for Chocolate Cherry Chunk Cookies that I saw on PBS several weeks ago. I think it is the first time I have seen a recipe using dried cherries. I had seen dried cherries at Aldi but then when I went to buy them, I couldn't find any.

Finally this week I found one bag with the dried mixed berries. (After baking these cookies, I will be searching through the box looking for some more dried cherries and then will be buying several bags for future cookies.)

The recipe made almost two and a half dozen cookies which if you read my blog often, you know is just about the right amount for me. I don't like to make recipes (unless for a specific purpose) for cookies that make 7 or 8 dozen. I just cut the recipe in half.

I have friends who tell me they don't like to make cookies because it takes so long to make them. That's another great thing about cookie recipes that make 2 - 3 dozen cookies is you aren't spending forever in the kitchen making them. Three cookie sheets and you are finished. And while one sheet is cooking, I am cleaning up my mess. By the time the last sheet is finished I have washed and dried all the bowls and measuring devices I used to mix up the cookies.

I also liked the consistency of the cookie. They were nice and plump and soft tasting. I do really like crispy cookies, but after eating the first one, I quickly ate another one. You will probably find it hard to eat just one yourself. Let me know.



CHOCOLATE CHERRY CHUNK COOKIES

1-1/4       cups flour
1/2          teaspoon baking soda
1/2          teaspoon sea salt
1              stick butter, softened
1              cup packed brown sugar (I used 1/2 cup truvia brown sugar blend)
1              egg
1              teaspoon vanilla
1/2          cup dark chocolate chunks
1/2          cup dried bing cherries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.


Whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.


Cream together the butter and brown sugar til smooth.


Add egg. Beat til mixed.


Add vanilla. (The reason my mixture looks like this is because it has half the amount of brown sugar in it since I used the blend. It doesn't reduce the sweetness doing this. It will look normal after the flour is added.)


Add the flour mixture all at once and mix on slow.


Stir in the chocolate and dried cherries.


Drop by tablespoonfuls on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. (I used my cookie scoop and left it slightly rounded.)


Bake for about 12 minutes or until puffy and golden.


Remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment