Tuesday, April 25, 2017

YUMMY-A-ZETTA

I am truly blessed when it comes to having friends! Sunday after church, my friend Jean gave me two cookbooks - Plain & Happy Living Amish Recipes & Remedies by Emma Blyer (Jonas Em) and Dutch Country Cooking - Recipes Compiled from Dutch Country Kitchens. I'm going to enjoy reading Emma Blyer's book with stories and recipes of her life. I recognized so many names from the latter book from other Amish cookbooks I have.

I needed a casserole for this week so focused on main dishes in the Dutch Country Cooking cookbook. I found two recipes that were very similar - Mrs. Joe J. Miller's Yummy-A-Zetta and Yumzetti by Mrs. Albert Slabach. I know this is crazy but I chose the first one because it called for 1 lb of ground beef and the latter one 1-1/2 lbs.  Guess how much beef I had. Mrs. Slabach also used velveeta slices and Mrs. Miller's used chunks. I didn't have the slices. The slices would have been easier to cover the dish though. Next time I would add more "chunks" to give it more cheese coverage, but I still liked it.


YUMMY-A-ZETTA

1       pk wide noodles (I used about 8 ounces of whole wheat noodles - they measured 6 cups when I measured them dry - the 12 - ounce package was opened)
1       lb hamburger
1       can cream of mushroom soup
1       can tomato soup or juice (I did use the soup)
1/2   cup velveeta cheese (cubed)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

While the noodles are cooking, brown ground beef in skillet.

Add the two cans of soup to the cooked beef and stir well.

Heat mixture while the water boils and the noodles cook.

Drain the cooked noodles and return them to the pot.
Add meat mixture and
stir to mix well.


Pour into casserole (I used a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan.)
Put cheese on top and
bake til cheese is melted.


Mrs. Miller doesn't indicate how long it should bake, so since everything was already cooked and I heated the soup with the meat, I baked mine 15 minutes. If you don't heat the soup/meat mixture, I would cook it longer to heat it through.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds so good. I am all by myself now and looking for recipes that are simple. I hope this freezes well! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since my husband is willing to eat a casserole until it is all gone which often takes three days, I don't often freeze them. I would think it would freeze okay since you can buy frozen pasta dishes. I would allow it to thaw in the refrigerator and then if you have a reheat pasta option on your microwave, I would heat it that way. If you don't have a microwave, you could heat it up in the oven until hot, 10 to 15 minutes. Hope it works for you. It is a good tasting casserole. Patricia

      Delete