Wednesday, April 19, 2017

DRUMSTICK PUDDING

If you like the Drumstick Ice Cream, you will love this Drumstick Pudding. That's what Ella Derweiler from Atlantic, Pennsylvania said about her recipe in Wanda E. Brunstetter's Amish Friends Cookbook - Desserts.

I had to make this twice before I could share it with you. Don't get me wrong - it is definitely good enough for me to want to make it again. I had to make again though because I messed up the first time. 

I made it to share with our Sunday school class the first time. We went to see A Case for Christ and then gathered for dessert and discussion afterwards at Friends Connie and Jerry's house. I wasn't happy with the way it looked and it didn't dawn on me why until the next day.

You see in the recipe the instructions just say to layer the chocolate and vanilla puddings on top. Reading it literally, I layered the chocolate pudding first and then the vanilla pudding on top of it. I wasn't thinking about the Drumstick Ice Cream or I would have realized the vanilla pudding went first and then the chocolate last. So it didn't look anything like it was supposed to. That's when I decided I would make it again and just wait to share pictures of it the "right" way.

Knowing the volunteers at Hillcrest Thrift Shop and what they like as far as types of desserts go, it didn't take much thinking on my part to know I would be making it again to take to them. (The dessert had to stay in the refrigerator at the thrift shop so I think some volunteers didn't realize I had brought something. When my shift was over and I was ready to go home, there were about 6 servings left. I just brought the dish home and gave them to the boys next door to enjoy.)


DRUMSTICK PUDDING

1-1/2       cups graham cracker crumbs (all but one graham cracker in a "sleeve" if you are making your own crumbs)
1/4           cup sugar
1/4           cup (1/2 stick) butter, melted

2              8 - ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature (I used 1/3 less fat Neutchatel)
1/4           cup peanut butter
1               cup powdered sugar
2              cartons (8 - oz each) whipped topping, thawed
1                4 - servings size instant vanilla pudding mix + 2 cups milk
1                6 - servings size instant chocolate pudding mix + 2-3/4 cups milk


In a 9 x 13 - inch dish, combine the cracker crumbs and sugar and then add melted butter. Stir with fork until all crumbs are moist. Flatten in the bottom of the dish. Set aside.


In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and peanut butter til smooth and well blended. Scrape the sides of the bowl as necessary.


Add powdered sugar and beat the mixture til smooth, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. (Guess I forgot to take a picture. Oops.)


Add whipped topping and beat again til smooth. Scrape the sides of the bowl.


Spread the cream cheese mixture on top of the crust.


In a medium size bowl, combine milk and vanilla pudding mix and whisk for 2 minutes. Let it rest.


In a large bowl, combine milk and chocolate pudding mix and whisk for 2 minutes. Let it rest.


Spoon vanilla pudding over the cream cheese mixture and gently spread evenly to cover entire mixture.


Spoon chocolate pudding over vanilla pudding and spread evenly to cover.





Can add nuts on top if you like.




No comments:

Post a Comment