Monday, October 7, 2019

OATMEAL HERMIT BARS

In a little bit I will be taking these Oatmeal Hermit Bars to the volunteers at Hillcrest Platte County Thrift Shop. I don't think I have ever shared my treat before I heard from the volunteers, but I decided I didn't need their approval before sharing. Wayne and I tried them out last night and they were satisfied with our opinion. 

I found the recipe in my Amish Cooking cookbook. The recipe actually intended for you to make cookies, Oatmeal Hermits, but at the bottom of the page they gave the directions for making Bar Cookies. Since the Chiefs' football game was starting soon, I decided I didn't want to make cookies and thought the bars sounded perfect. The only change I made was substituting dried cranberries for the raisins.

UPDATE: If you read the comments below, you will find some favorable and some not so. I rechecked the recipe since we liked them as I shared them and the recipe is correct. Someone commented she had the recipe and it called for 2 eggs and 1/2 cup milk. The only Amish recipe similar that I could find called for 2 eggs but no milk. My suggestion to you might be if after mixing the ingredients together to make the bars you don't like the consistency, then add another egg and/or another 1/4 cup of milk.

Click here for a printable version of just the recipe.


OATMEAL HERMIT BARS/COOKIES

3     cups quick or old fashioned uncooked oats (I used old fashioned)
1     cup flour
1/2  teaspoon baking soda
1/2  teaspoon salt (optional)
1     teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4  teaspoon ground nutmeg
1     cup firmly packed brown sugar
1     cup raisins or dried cranberries
1/2  cup chopped nuts
1     cup (2 sticks) butter, melted
1     egg
1/4  cup milk
1     teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
Add cranberries,
brown sugar, and nuts.
(I had to transfer the ingredients into a bigger bowl than my large batter bowl.)

Combine the egg, milk, and vanilla.
Add butter to dry ingredients.


Mix well. 














If making cookies, drop by rounded tablespoonfuls of dough onto ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 8 to 10 minutes. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire cooling racks. 
For Bars, Press dough into ungreased 15 x 10 - inch jelly roll pan.
Bake about 17 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely;
cut into bars.



18 comments:

  1. Terrible recipe. Made this exactly as listed. Cooked it and tried to cut squares. Fell apart and crumbs only. Very dry and would not adhere. What a waste, all those ingredients. Removed from my Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry the recipe didn't work for you. I've experienced the same thing before with recipes everyone raved about and mine didn't look anything like their picture or taste good to me. Patricia

      Delete
    2. Maybe you should cut into bars while still warm, Jan.
      Patricia

      Delete
    3. Dating for everyone is here: ❤❤❤ Link 1 ❤❤❤


      Direct sexchat: ❤❤❤ Link 2 ❤❤❤

      SV...

      Delete
  2. Jan was correct once these were mixed up I could tell something was off. I added another egg. Let them cool completely and before I cut them and they held together. They were pale in color and dry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made this as cookies I did add one more egg and 3tbsp extra of milk and it turn out so good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosa for sharing. I will have to give that a try. Patricia

      Delete
  4. Dating for everyone is here: ❤❤❤ Link 1 ❤❤❤


    Direct sexchat: ❤❤❤ Link 2 ❤❤❤

    bg .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, these were a disappointment. I needed to listen to the other reviewers. I do wonder if the poster ever really made these? The oatmeal absorbs most of the moisture leaving nothing to bind the ingredients together. I realized this when I took them out of the oven. I cut them warm and put in a container while still slightly warm. We will see how they are tomorrow. I won’t make these again although.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry they didn't work for you. I did make the bars and those are my pictures I took while I was doing so. I do sometimes post recipes my friends make but 95% of the time I get to eat what they made. I always state at the beginning of the post if it is a friend's dish. Patricia

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed these Hermit bars very much. I cut them while still warm, held together nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad they worked for you. Thanks. Patricia

      Delete
  7. I have this Amish recipe also and mine calls for 2 eggs and 1/2 cup milk. Mine always works but I always cut when warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your input. I did recheck the recipe in the cookbook ( fortunately I keep most of my Amish cookbooks together) and I did have the recipe correct for the cookbook. I will check some more cookbooks. May just change the recipe even though I didn't have a problem since several did. Thanks. Patricia

      Delete
  8. Wish I had read the reviews before I made these. They're still baking but I will definitely be cutting them while hot. Thanks for the other tips as well. At the price of groceries these days, it's a shame to waste ingredients on a recipe that isn't tried and tested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I stated in the update before the recipe, there has been much discussion regarding this recipe. There are so many reasons the same recipe can turn out differently for different people. I hope they turned out to your liking. Patricia

      Delete
    2. As I said in the update before the recipe there had been much discussion on this recipe. I kept them all for people to read. There are many reasons that a recipe can turn out differently when followed by different people. I hope they turn out to his liking. Patricia

      Delete
  9. I have my Ex lover back just in 48 hours... This is unbelievable... I love this!


    Get back with Ex... Fix broken relationship/marriage..........


    His result is 100% guaranteed.


    He cures herpes with herbal mixture


    Thanks Robinsonbuckler11 ((@ gmail)) com...


    Patricia Bowen


    Florida, United States

    ReplyDelete