Monday, October 21, 2019

DOUBLE DEVIL'S FOOD PUMPKIN CAKE

We have been spending a long-needed visit with family in south central Missouri. One of the reasons I wanted to move to Kansas City was so I could see my paternal cousins who live in MO. Well in the 11 years we have lived here this is the third time we have seen them. 

Our visit is almost over and it has been a great weekend. We spent several hours talking with an 88 yr-old man who knew my paternal grandfather (he called him "Uncle Jim" even though they weren't related). That was fun hearing stories about my granddaddy. He inspired me to do some more geneology work on Ancestry and after being "stuck" for a couple of years, had a break through when I met a "cousin" who knew the information I had not been to uncover and have now traced my paternal line back to Ireland. So exciting. We also visited with a frat brother of Wayne's who inherited his grandfather's house and he and his wife have been renovating it and hope to rent it out as a vacation home. The house is right on Meramec River, a popular spot for canoeing. 

We have also had fun family time and great food. My cousin Tom's wife Marilyn is a fabulous cook and I plan to wait a week before I weigh myself when we get back home. It was fun taking pictures of HER cooking so that I could share her recipes with you here. (I don't think I will need to cook for a week - but of course I will.)

The first recipe I am sharing I decided to call Double Devil's Food Pumpkin Cake as it didn't have a name. One of her friends had told her how to make it. It is so good and oh-so-o-o-o moist. Since I have been sharing pumpkin recipes with you lately, I thought I would share it with you first. She didn't, but I told her I would use a sugar-free Devil's Food cake mix to reduce the sugar. I would also use fat-free cream cheese in the frosting.


DOUBLE DEVIL'S FOOD PUMPKIN CAKE

1     Devil's Food cake mix (a sugar-free one would work)
1     can (15 - oz) pumpkin
1     cup (6 - oz) mini chocolate chips
1     (8 - oz) package cream cheese (fat - free would work)
3     cups powdered sugar
1     stick of butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 - inch baking dish. Set aside.

Combine cake mix and pumpkin in a large mixing bowl and then beat for 2 minutes.
Batter will be thick.

Add about 3/4 cup of mini chocolate chips and
stir to distribute.

Spread batter in baking dish.


Bake for 20 minutes and then check for doneness by inserting a toothpick in center of cake. If not done, cook a little bit longer.








Cool cake completely in pan on wire rack.

Beat cream cheese and butter til creamy. Add powdered sugar and stir til spreading consistency. Ice the cooled cake with frosting. Can sprinkle the rest of the chocolate chips on top.


Marilyn feels she doesn't have a lot of cabinet space in her kitchen so she is proud of her storage she made above her oven for her cooking pans.


It is a good use of her cabinet and makes it easy to pull out what she needs when she is baking.


No comments:

Post a Comment