Wednesday, October 23, 2019

GLUTEN-FREE FRENCH TOAST BAKE

I would be sharing a Cream Cheese Coffee Cake with you that I had taken to Hillcrest Thrift Shop yesterday for the volunteers, if only I had taken it. Everyone was understanding when I explained the reason I was empty handed was that I forgot to add the sugar. I didn't realize it until I was getting ready to take it out of the oven and saw the measuring cup with the sugar in it. I couldn't believe it. I was so disgusted with myself. Anyway, you'll just have to wait until next week when I will try it again.

So instead, you are in for another treat from Marilyn, my cousin Tom's wife. She intended to make this for us for Saturday, but we had a delay in our trip when Wayne ran over a curb turning into a gas station and popped a tire. By the time we got back to their house after visiting with an 88 - yr - old man who knew our grandfather when he was young, she decided she would just wait and serve it on Sunday morning.

She normally make it for her granddaughter who has a gluten problem, but just used different bread for us. The recipe calls for a loaf of bread, but you won't use that much. You just need twice however many slices will fit in the bottom of the pan you are using. She says sometimes she breaks the bread up into chunks. If you did that, you might use more bread. (I didn't ask her.) Anyway, she used 12 slices for us. Wayne ate the leftover pieces later. It is sweet with the brown sugar that you have under the slices, so personally you can get by without any syrup.

I almost forgot to mention that you make this up the night before and just have to bake it the next morning. Great if you are having company.

Click here for a printable copy of just the recipe.



GLUTEN-FREE FRENCH TOAST BAKE

Slices of gluten-free bread or other bread slices if you prefer
1        cup brown sugar
1/2     cup (1 stick) butter, melted
6        eggs
1        cup milk
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
cinnamon
powdered sugar, fruit, etc for topping

Melt the butter in a 9 x 13 - inch baking dish (or whatever size you are using as you can choose the size that your bread slices will fit in perfectly). Add the brown sugar and stir until butter is melted. Using a fork, spread it out so that it covers the bottom of the dish.






Beat eggs, butter, milk, and vanilla in a bowl. Set aside.

Place one layer of bread slices in bottom of the pan on top of brown sugar/butter.

Pour half of the egg mixture over the bread to coat. Sprinkle with cinnamon (I noticed Marilyn forgot to sprinkle the cinnamon on top.)

Lay another slice of bread on top of each of the other slices. (Makes like a sandwich.)
Pour the rest of the egg mixture over the bread coating well.
Sprinkle with a little sugar and then cinnamon.











Cover and refrigerate overnight. (Marilyn covered her dish with plastic wrap; I just didn't take a picture of it.)

Next morning, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cover dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. (She didn't let me know she was baking it so I didn't get a picture.)
Uncover dish and bake 15 more minutes.

Cool slightly before eating.

Top with fruit, powdered sugar, etc.

We each ate two slices (like a sandwich) so doing that, you could serve 6 people each eating 2 pieces of French toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment