Wednesday, April 12, 2017

PECAN PIE COBBLER

What a fun time we always have when we meet with out Tasty Bunch group! We missed last month because we were on our road trip. I hope you saw the post on the dessert that Friend Carol made. Everyone said it was out of this world. I'm sure it was.

This month Friend Patricia and her husband Gary were the host. We enjoyed delicious Italian food at a neighborhood Italian restaurant south of the Plaza called Osteria El Centro. They asked us to come a little earlier than our 5:00 reservation because their restaurant is small. (There were 12 of us.) Knowing we were taking up so much room and people were waiting, we didn't linger too long after our meal. We don't usually anyway because we are always anxious to get dessert at the host house. Patricia didn't disappoint us either.

She made this Pecan Pie Cobbler for us. She called it a dump cake without a cake mix. We just called it "Good". Carol asked me if I would be putting it on my blog this week because she wanted to make it for this weekend. I assured her I would. (Patricia gave her the copy of the recipe and I had to take a picture of it.) Since I only got a picture of a serving of it, I decided to make it Monday afternoon and then I would have more pictures to share with you.

I decided to make it for the "boys" especially Jeff next door. Jeff spent a couple of hours with me Saturday afternoon helping me organize my digital pictures. It is quite an ordeal. I told him I wanted to pay him and he said, "You pay us with all the sweets you make for us." I told him I would make something special for him on Monday. After Saturday night I decided this Pecan Pie Cobbler was special enough. (Thanks Patricia and Paula @ CallMePMc.com)  



PECAN PIE COBBLER

6        tablespoons butter
1         cup pecans
1-1/2  cups self-rising flour
1-1/2  cups sugar
2/3    cup milk
1         teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2  cups brown sugar
1-1/2  cups hot water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


Melt butter in 9 x 13 - inch pan. (I cut the butter up into slices and placed pan in oven as it was preheating.
By the time the oven had reached 350 degrees F, the butter was melted. That allowed me time to mix up the "cake" batter.)


Sprinkle nuts in the bottom of the pan after the butter melts.


In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, milk, and vanilla with a whisk. (This is the only "mixing" you will do in the preparation of this dessert and
I did whisk the flour and sugar together first.)


Slowly pour mixture over the top of the pecans making sure you cover the area completely.


Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the top.


Carefully pour the hot water over it all.(You want to do this gently as the brown sugar wants to move around when you pour the hot water over it and you want it to cover the whole surface.)


Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. (30 minutes was fine in my oven.)




Patricia served the dessert with a little ice cream. It tastes a lot like pecan pie with a softer crust.




Oh, I almost forgot. Jeff shared with me a picture of some strawberry and kiwi "flowers" he made. 



He sliced both the strawberries and kiwi very thinly as you can see in the picture and then very carefully staggers the slices to form the "petals" of the roses. He said the center one took him about 30 minutes to form while the smaller ones about 10 minutes. I am so impressed! He said he saw it while browsing imgur. All I can say is, "Well, done, Jeff! You have outdone yourself!"

No comments:

Post a Comment