Thursday, July 20, 2017

GERMAN CHOCOLATE POUND CAKE

You are in for a treat today. I have had this recipe for over 40 years. I didn't write down where the recipe came from, but I think it was in the newspaper in Wichita, KS where we lived when we first got married. 

I thought I had already shared it with you, but when I did a search on my blog, there wasn't a post for it. Once I realized I hadn't shared it with you, I decided it would be perfect to take to Hillcrest Thrift Shop. 

I really wasn't in the mood to bake anything. I know - how rare is that? I couldn't make up my mind and before I knew it, it was dinnertime and I was tired. I guess dinner helped me though because after cleaning up the kitchen from that, I started on the cake. The good news is you bake it at 300 degrees F so it didn't heat up the house much. I retired to the family room and watched something my husband and I had recorded while it baked for one and a half hours. Nice.

I think one of the secrets for this awesome cake is closing it up as soon as you remove it from the cake pan. The steam settles into the cake and makes it super moist and taste just like a pound cake - even though it has no butter in.

The volunteers at Hillcrest raved about it, but I ended up bringing half of it home - guess the number of workers were smaller that day. It didn't stay home too long though because an hour after I got home, I was heading out to the church for choir practice. Leaving a generous piece for my husband, I took the rest to share with the other choir members. They were thrilled and told me I could do that again. (Oh, no, I've started another group to share with.)




GERMAN CHOCOLATE POUNDCAKE

2       cups sugar
1        cup shortening
4       eggs
2       teaspoons vanilla
2       teaspoons butter flavoring
1        cup buttermilk
3       cups flour
1/2    teaspoon baking soda
1        teaspoon salt
1        package (4-ounces) German Sweet Chocolate Bar

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Grease and dust with flour a Bundt pan.


Cream the sugar and shortening.


Add eggs, flavorings, and buttermilk.



Sift together the flour, soda, and salt.
Add to creamed mixture
and mix well.
(Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.)


Add chocolate that has been softened in warm oven or in double boiler.
(I placed the unwrapped bar in a dish and placed it in oven while it was preheating. It doesn't look like it has melted when you take it out, but it has.)


Blend together well. (You will have light veins running through the baked cake if you don't blend it completely.)
Scrape the sides of the bowl and dig down deep to the bottom to make sure it is all blended.


Pour batter in pan.


Bake for 1-1/2 hours. Test doneness with a toothpick.


Invert cake over carrier. I let the cake rest about 10 or 15 minutes (maybe 30 minutes - I went back to the TV show we were watching)
before I tried to remove the pan.
Place cake under a tight fitting cake cover while still hot and leave covered until cold, approximately 4 hours.
(I always leave it covered overnight.) Dry the inside of the carrier if you are taking it somewhere like I did.



I never got a picture of a slice of the cake, but trust me you don't want to not try making this cake. (How's that for a double negative?)

No comments:

Post a Comment