Monday, July 3, 2017

FRESH STRAWBERRY CRISP

I finally got around to making this incredibly delicious Fresh Strawberry Crisp again - this time just for us to enjoy. I saw the recipe on my friend Julie's blog Brick and Mortar Dreams. I ended up making a single serving for Friend Sandy's husband, Ed, when the Bridge Couples met at our house last month. I made a dessert(Strawberry Cream Cheese Icebox Cake) that had dairy in it, and Ed has issues with dairy. If I do this, I always try to have something nondairy for him, so he can also enjoy dessert. Well, he loved it and told me several times how good it was. I kept thinking I would make it for us, but just never got around to it.

Better late than never, I always say. And nothing could be more appropriate for this dessert. We are trying to reduce our sugar intake so I used stevia for the sugar on the fresh strawberries. We are also trying to avoid enriched flour so I looked for a different recipe for the topping. I found one using rice krispies cereal but couldn't find the cookbook I saw the recipe in. (I thought I had written it down, but if I did, I can't find it now.) I finally found the one I used in Miriam Miller's The Wooden Spoon Cookbook. It was the topping for her Streusel Apple Pie. (Recipe for the pie part - 1/2 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 6 cups sliced apples. Toss apples in the sugar mixture and pour into an unbaked pie shell. Prepare topping and sprinkle over the filling. Bake for 40 minutes or until topping is brown and apples are tender in a 400 degree F oven.) I will have to give it a try.

Use gluten-free oats if you have a gluten issue.



FRESH STRAWBERRY CRISP

4       cups hulled and quartered fresh strawberries (almost 32 oz of strawberries)
1/4    cup stevia or sugar (I used stevia)
2       tablespoons cornstarch

1        cup old fashioned oats
1/4    cup brown sugar blend or 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
1/2    teaspoon cinnamon
1/2    cup chopped pecans
1/3    cup butter, melted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


Combine the stevia and cornstarch in a small bowl and
then toss strawberries in it a little at a time.


Spread strawberry mixture into an 8 - inch square baking dish.


Combine oats, brown sugar blend, cinnamon, and pecans in a medium sized bowl.


Add butter and
stir to combine.


Sprinkle topping evenly over the strawberries.


Bake for 35 minutes.


Serve warm alone or with a little whipped topping or ice cream. (We just ate ours plain and enjoyed the taste of the strawberries.)

When I made a smaller portion for Ed, I did use Julie's recipe for the topping - I just portionally reduced the amounts. I did omit the oats because at that time they were not listed in the ingredients. Ed loved it. I didn't take a picture of it, but I did add a scoop of non-dairy whipped topping.



You can see Julie's recipe HERE. I think you could use frozen strawberry slices if you can't find fresh strawberries in the grocery store. I would buy unsweetened ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment