Tuesday, July 11, 2017

SWISS CHICKEN SUPREME

For this week's casserole/main entree I found what looked like a good recipe with only 310 calories/per serving called Swiss Chicken Supreme. It was in a new cookbook I found at another estate sale called Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook - lose weight with 433 foods you crave. I don't know about you but "comfort food" and "diet" sound like an oxymoron. Whenever I think of comfort food, diet is definitely not the first word I think of.

But anyway, the serving looked exceptional in the picture, the 310 calories sounded good, and of course, I am always looking for new ways to cook chicken. My husband has really enjoyed it. He even told me I should make it again. I didn't use individual chicken breasts since the ones we have are so huge. I just cut them into thirds or half lengthway. I did use two chicken breasts so we enjoyed them for several leftover lunches and dinner.



SWISS CHICKEN SUPREME

4      boneless skinless chicken breast halves (or equivalent)
1       tablespoon dried minced onion
1/2   teaspoon garlic powder
1/4   teaspoon salt
1/8   teaspoon pepper
4      slices reduced-fat Swiss cheese
1       can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1/3   cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/2   cup fat-free milk
1/3   cup crushed reduced-fat butter-flavored crackers (about 8 crackers)
1       teaspoon butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 - inch baking dish with cooking spray.


Place chicken in baking dish.


Sprinkle chicken with minced onion, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
Top each with a slice of cheese. (Since I had cut the breasts into strips, I folded a slice of cheese in half and placed the two halves on a strip. My cheese were thin slices.)


In a small bowl, combine the soup, sour cream, and milk.




Toss cracker crumbs and butter
Pour soup mixture over the chicken (making sure to completely cover all the pieces) and the sprinkle crumbs over the chicken.


Bake, uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes or until chicken juices run clear and crumbs are golden.



You will want to spoon some of the cooked soup mixture over the servings.




You may find it hard to think of comfort food and diet together in the same recipe, but this dish certainly fits the bill for both of those terms.

No comments:

Post a Comment