Tuesday, July 18, 2017

CHERRY VANILLA CHOCOLATE CHIP CAKE

While this cake is similar to another cake I made several years ago, it is different enough to share with you. I found the recipe when I was looking in another one of my many places where I have cookbooks stored. It was in a brown folder of several recipes I had cut or torn out of magazines or newspapers, etc. It was a full page and was featured with a coupon for 75 cents off two cans of Lucky Leaf pie fillings. (The other great thing about this find is on the back side was a recipe and coupon for Dole pineapple. I can't wait to try that recipe. Stay alert!)

The recipe called for a white cake mix. Since I was making the dessert for our Mexican Train group - Friend Fran was hosting, I thought I would make it as sugar-free as I could. (or I should say as no-sugar-added as I could since the cherries have natural sugar and the chocolate chips contain sugar). I knew most of the members are watching their sugar intake and I also knew I would be bringing a lot of it home as the group was going to be small this month, and I wanted to be okay eating it at home. As always, you can make it as sweet as you like.



CHERRY VANILLA CHOCOLATE CHIP CAKE

1       16-oz box white cake mix (use a sugar-free yellow cake mix if you like)
3      eggs
1       21-oz can cherry pie filling (use a no-sugar-added cherry pie filling if you like)
1       cup mini chocolate chips


2       tablespoons warm water
1        teaspoon vanilla extract
1        teaspoon almond extract
1-2/3 cups powdered sugar, sifted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine the cake mix, eggs, pie filling, and chips together in a mixing bowl using a spoon or spatula.

Don't forget the chips - I almost did.
(I actually had poured the cake batter in the pan when I remembered. I just dumped it back in the bowl and added the chips.)
Pour evenly into a greased Bundt pan or a 9 x 13 - inch pan.

Bake 45 minutes for a Bundt pan and 30-35 minutes for the sheet pan. Check doneness by inserting a toothpick in the center of the cake. It should come out clean.

Cool in pan 10 - 15 minutes on wire rack before inserting on cake platter.

Combine the water and flavorings in a small mixing bowl.
Add powdered sugar and
stir to desired consistency. (The directions said to beat the icing with an electric mixer until desired consistency. I didn't do this. The icing in the picture was thicker than mine so next time I might try that and see if it is different.)


(At this point I added 2 teaspoons of maraschino cherry juice to give it a pink color. It tinted it a little bit, but it also added more flavoring.)

Pour icing over cake.




Cool before serving.





No comments:

Post a Comment