Monday, July 31, 2017

CHEWY FUDGE SQUARES

Last week I went in to volunteer at Hillcrest Thrift Shop on Wednesday also. I don't usually take anything for a treat when I go on any other day. If anyone asks (and usually some one will), I just say I didn't have time to make anything at the last minute. This time though I knew I was coming back the next day. 

On Tuesday, when Daniel asked Cain if he had eaten any of the cake I had brought, Cain told him he had and it was good BUT he wanted some brownies. Brownies?! I told him I would be back on Wednesday.

Later that day when I was home and looking for a new brownie recipe, my husband asked me if I was looking for something to make. I told him what Cain had said and he said, "Are they requesting things now?" 

The next day when I got to Hillcrest, I told Cain they weren't quite brownies, but were chocolate and looked pretty good. He told me everything I made was good. Awwwwww.

Sara Whetstone's Chewy Fudge Squares (Heritage Country Harvest Cookbook) were rich and fudgy. In the ingredients, Sara listed 1 cup nuts or chocolate chips but then in the directions, she said to stir in the nuts and chocolate chips. I decided they needed both and used 1 cup nuts and 1 cup chocolate chips. Definitely a good decision!




CHEWY FUDGE SQUARES

1       chocolate cake mix (I used a Devil's Food Cake mix)
2      eggs
1/2   cup butter, melted
2      cups miniature marshmallows
1       cup chopped nuts 
1       cup chocolate chips (I used 60% cacao chips)
2      tablespoons oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a rectangular pan 9 x 13 or similar size. (I used an 8 x 11 - inch pan which just made them thicker.)


Stir together the cake mix, eggs, and butter in a large mixing bowl with a wooden spoon.



Add oil; 




stir in nuts,
chocolate chips, and
marshmallows.



Press mixture in pan



and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until set in center.





Cool completely on wire rack.
Cut in squares to serve. (Oops! Looks like that rat (aka my husband) got to them again.)

No comments:

Post a Comment