Monday, July 10, 2017

BLUEBERRY OR BLACKBERRY MUFFINS

After planting the blackberry bushes 5 or 6 years ago, we are finally going to get some to enjoy this summer. Last year was the first year I saw any blackberries on the bushes, but I never saw them ripen. Not sure who or what enjoyed them. But this is a new year and WE are going to get to enjoy them this year.

I can't tell you how many cookbooks I looked through trying to find recipes for blackberries. Of course, I found a few that I had already shared here on my blog, but I wanted to find some new ones. I finally gave up and decided to try a recipe for blueberry muffins and just substitute my blackberries. Well, they were awesome! 

The recipe I used, believe it or not, I found in two different cookbooks. I didn't realize they were exactly the same until I discovered the second cookbook. (I forgot I had some cookbooks by my chair in the bedroom when I was trying to find the recipe I had decided on last night.) One of the recipes was in my Tasteful Treasures from the Horse and Buggy Country of Conewango Valley, New York and the other one was from Carlon Dawson from the Marshall Field's in Columbus (New and improved 2nd edition Pot-Luck for 33,000 - recipes from the great Dayton's, Hudson's and Marshall Field's cookoff, a benefit for the United Way.) In the Amish cookbook it is listed as a Bakestand Favorite. (I am sure the muffins are just as fabulous with blueberries as they were intended.)

I should mention the only difference in the two recipes was the baking time and temperature. One was at 400 degrees F for 20-25 minutes and the other one was 425 degrees F for 20 minutes. (I did bake mine at 400 degrees F for 23 minutes. I also substituted 4 tablespoons of truvia - stevia and sugar blend for the 1/2 cup sugar and then sprinkled a little sugar on the top of each muffin before I baked them.)



BLUEBERRY OR BLACKBERRY MUFFINS

1         egg
1/2     cup milk
1/4     cup oil
1-1/2  cups flour
1/2     cup sugar or 4 tablespoons stevia/sugar blend
2        teaspoons baking powder
1/2     teaspoon salt
1         cup fresh blueberries or blackberries

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.


Beat the egg.


Add milk and oil.

Sift together the dry ingredients - flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. 


Stir into wet mixture. 


Fold in blueberries or blackberries.


Fill 12 muffins cups evenly with batter.
(Sprinkle a little sugar on top if you like.)
Bake for 20 - 25 minutes.



These were the words of wisdom on the bottom of the page in the cookbook:

In the midst of everything, take time to love and pray, Then life will be worth living, each and every day.

Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them.

I couldn't agree more.

No comments:

Post a Comment