Friday, July 28, 2017

BUTTERSCOTCH SPICE CAKE W/ BUTTERSCOTCH GLAZE

OMG! Words escape me when I try to describe this cake. First of all, I simply LOVE butterscotch. Secondly, I really like spice cake. The crazy thing is when I was reading the recipe in my "new" Bundt Classics cookbook, I couldn't understand why they used a yellow cake mix and not a spice one. I really planned to use a spice cake mix instead, but changed my mind because the spice cake mix already had pudding in the mix. I knew I didn't want to use it when I would be adding a butterscotch pudding. Well, that would have been a big mistake not to mention a waste of a spice cake mix. 

The finished cake not only looks like a spice cake, it tastes like a spice cake. Don't pass on the butterscotch glaze either. It's easy and oh so good! The volunteers at Hillcrest Thrift Shop couldn't say enough good things about it. (Terry and Roger both dropped by just to get some since they don't normally come in on Tuesdays.)

The instant butterscotch pudding mix I used was sugar-free. I didn't use a sugar-free yellow cake mix only because I didn't have one. 



BUTTERSCOTCH SPICE CAKE W/BUTTERSCOTCH GLAZE

1         yellow cake mix
1         (4-serving size) instant butterscotch pudding mix
4        eggs
1         cup water
1/3     cup oil
1-1/2  teaspoons apple pie spice

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour a 10 or 12 cup Bundt pan. (If using a 10 cup pan, fill 3/4 full and make 3 or 4 cupcakes with the remaining batter.)


In a large mixing bowl, mix all ingredients.
(Stir on low until ingredients are moistened.)
Increase speed to medium and beat 2 minutes.
(Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.)


Spoon batter into prepared pan.


Bake for 55 to 65 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
Cool 10 minutes.
Remove cake from pan and
cool completely on wire rack.


Reposition cake on platter to serve. 





Prepare Butterscotch Glaze:




BUTTERSCOTCH GLAZE

1/4         cup butter
1/4         cup firmly packed brown sugar
2            tablespoons milk
1             cup sifted powdered sugar
1             teaspoon vanilla


In medium saucepan over medium heat, stir together butter, brown sugar, and milk.


(Cut the butter into slices so it will melt faster.)
Bring to a boil. Remove from heat;
stir in powdered sugar and vanilla;

mix until smooth.

If needed, add additional milk until desired consistency. (I didn't need to do that.)

Pour glaze over cake.





The joke's on me....

Not long after the shop opened, I glanced down and this is what I saw....



I just knew someone would notice and say something, but no one did. Here's how it happened....I put on the darker pair of shoes and the one on my right foot was uncomfortable. I changed out the right shoe and put on a different pair to see if it also hurt. I was just so comfortable, I ended up leaving the house with two different shoes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment