Wednesday, July 19, 2017

SNICKERS BITES COOKIES

I wanted to make some peanut butter cup cookies using some itty bitty peanut butter cups I got in an Amish grocery but couldn't find them. What I did find was a package of Snickers baking bites I had bought a while ago and had just never gotten around to using them. Really wanting to make some cookies, I decided they were better than nothing.

OMG! They were so good. The "bites" were bigger than I thought they were going to be so I decided to cut each bite into fourths. I didn't add all of them (I had quite a few) to the cookie dough, but as I dug down in the dough to scoop it out, I realized I needed more in there. So I just throw a handful in several times so that each cookie would have several pieces in it.

Another change I made was substituting stevia for the 2/3 cup of sugar. Of course, we are used to less sweet desserts, but I don't think I could have eaten many of these cookies if I had used real sugar. Trust me! They are plenty sweet and delicious as I made them.




SNICKERS BITES COOKIES

1         cup butter (2 sticks) (I always used unsalted butter even if the recipe calls for salted)
2/3    cup light brown sugar
2/3    cup sugar (I used stevia)
1         egg
1-1/2  teaspoons vanilla
2        cups flour
1-1/4  teaspoons baking soda
1         teaspoon salt
1         bag Snickers baking bites

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.


In a large bowl, cream butter with both sugars until well blended.
(I sliced the cold butter first to make this process go faster.)


Add egg and vanilla. Beat til smooth.


Sift flour, baking soda, and salt together.
Slowly add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. 
Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed during this process.
Stir in about 2/3s or 3/4s of the bites.


Chill the dough in the refrigerator for 1 hour.


Drop dough by tablespoons at least 2 inches apart. (I use a tablespoon cookie scoop.)


Bake for 8 to 10 minutes for chewy cookies and 12 - 14 for crunchy. (I baked mine for 10 minutes. I did not try any longer.)


Cool 5 minutes on cookie sheet before you remove them to finish cooling on wire racks. 


Here's what happened when I tried to remove the cookies right away. (You probably noticed the torn up cookie in the above photo.) I didn't take a picture of them, but the Snickers stuck to my spatula and I could only use it to remove one cookie. Waiting 5 minutes was perfect and they removed easily from the sheet.


The bites cut into fourths (when I first got started).






Oh! guess what I saw in my pantry as I finished the cookies. If you said the itty bitty peanut butter cups, you are right. Guess I was just too close to them when I was looking. It took being at the refrigerator and looking back at the pantry to see them. Can't believe it. Oh well, there is tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment