Monday, July 17, 2017

CHICKEN WITH LEMON RICE AND GREEN BEANS

I have so many cookbooks! Now, when Friend Janice and I go to estate sales, I try to just look for Amish cookbooks or novelty ones. By novelty cookbooks, I mean ones from eateries that may or may not exist anymore or is really unique in some way. The Old Grinter House Cook Book by Johnson and Janson is just one example, I recently found. 

I didn't realize until I was doing some research for this post, that my husband and I found the Grinter House right after we moved to Kansas City. We always enjoy scouting out places when we move to a new area. We found it because I saw a sign on I-435 just over in Kansas re a historical site. (Always excited to see signs like that and it isn't far off the by-pass.) When we got there the house was closed though so we couldn't go in. I have thought about it several times since, but we have never been back. The Grinter House has quite a bit of history in the area and I know we are going to be going back soon. It appears to be open from 10 - 5 on Wednesdays - Saturdays. 

Until 1950 when Mr. and Mrs. Harry Hanson bought the house, it had been lived in for over 100 years by Grinter family members. Until the mid-60s, the Hansons operated The Old Grinter House Tea Room in it. In 1971 the state of Kansas bought it as a historical site. I had no idea of any of this when I bought this little cookbook.

The Old Grinter House Cook Book is a cookbook of recipes served when it was a successful chicken dinner restaurant, Old Grinter House Tea Room. There are several recipes I want to try, but I chose the Chicken with Lemon Rice and Green Beans for my first one. I had planned to follow the recipe exactly, but when I was gathering the ingredients, I realized I didn't have a can of cream of mushroom soup. This often happens to me and I did what I usually do, I just used a can of cream of chicken soup. I also followed the cooking directions in the recipe for the precooked (instant) rice, but it wasn't done when it was supposed to be (I don't think it was because I used instant brown rice, but not sure.) I ended up checking the directions on the box and followed them and the rice was done. I am writing the directions to follow the directions on the box or package of your instant rice.

We really enjoyed the casserole and had enough to enjoy it for leftovers, also. I just remembered I made one other change. I got a new oven, gas, earlier this year and I have never broiled anything in it. I couldn't figure out from the manual how to do this - so I just improvised. We liked my results.




CHICKEN with LEMON RICE and GREEN BEANS

1-1/2       cups packaged pre-cooked rice (I used instant brown rice)
1/2          teaspoon salt*
1-1/2       cups water*
1              teaspoon grated lemon rind
1-1/2       tablespoons butter
1              can cream of mushroom soup (I used cream of chicken soup)
1/2          cup milk
1              cup cooked chicken chunks (recipe says you can use a can of tuna)
1              cup cooked green beans (I used 1 cup of green beans from a can)
dash of pepper


Cook 1-1/2 cups of instant rice according to directions on box or package. When done, add butter and lemon rind, mixing lightly with fork.


Meanwhile, combine soup and milk in saucepan. Heat, stirring occasionally.
Add chicken, green beans, and pepper. (I cut the green beans in half.)
Mix and heat thoroughly.


Add the lemon rice (I only added 2 cups of the cooked rice.) Mix thoroughly and
turn into a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish. 
Sprinkle with a mixture of 8 butter crackers crushed
that you added 1/2 tablespoon melted butter to. 


Heat in 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes til heated through (and bubbly).


Serves 4 generously.







You can also just serve the heated mixture over the lemon rice if you like according to the cookbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment