Monday, July 24, 2017

BLACK-EYED PEA SKILLET

Even though I have lived in seven different states from the East coast to the West coast, I guess I am still just a southern girl at heart. You can take the girl out of the south, but you can't take the south out of the girl. 

That said - when I saw this recipe for Black-Eyed Pea Skillet in Mr. Food Cooks Real American, I knew I had to make it. I love black-eyed peas and make sure we have them on New Year's Day to bring us luck in the new year. My mother always did, too. I am so upset that our local Wal-Mart has quit stocking Pictsweet brand frozen speckled butter beans, purple hurl peas, field peas and snaps, and blackeye peas. I have written the company to see if they are being sold anywhere near.

Anyway, I am "birdwalking". I knew I would have to try the recipe when I saw it. It is a great way to stretch a pound of ground beef, too. It makes so much that after I had added all of the ingredients except the onion and peppers, I divided the mixture between two skillets and added the onion and peppers to one for my husband. He was quite pleased.



BLACK-EYED PEA SKILLET

1          lb. ground beef
1-1/2  cups chopped onion
1          cup chopped green bell pepper (I used orange and red sweet peppers)
2         cans (16-ounces each) black-eyed peas, drained
1          can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1/2      teaspoon salt
1/4      teaspoon black pepper

In a large skillet, cook the ground beef,m onion, and pepper over medium heat until the beef is browned, stirring to crumble the meat; drain off any liquid. 

Add the remaining ingredients; 

bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring often.

Mr. Food says to go on and add your own seasoning favorites. Anything from basil to oregano, chili powder, hot pepper sauce, or Cajun seasoning will work. (I didn't.)




No comments:

Post a Comment