Thursday, June 29, 2017

BLACKBERRY COBBLER

When Aldi featured fresh blackberries for 79 cents a package, I bought 9 packages. I thought I had messed up because I waited until the last day of the "week" to go buy some. The new Aldi we go to now, was out. I asked and was told they didn't have any more. When I inquired about a raincheck, I was told they didn't do that. Not giving up, I drove over to the older (now remodeled) store we used to shop to see if they had any. Imagine my joy when I saw they did. There was an occasional molded blackberry in the package so I had to look closely.

I ended up washing them and then "soaking" them in a vinegar/water solution. Ultimately I froze them in a single layer on wax paper on a cookie sheet in the freezer and then bagged them to use later. You can check out the procedure when I did strawberries. 

I kept a few just in the refrigerator and used them to make Miriam Miller's Blackberry Cobbler (The Wooden Spoon Cookbook) and served it at Friend Fran's house for our Farkle group. She added a scoop of ice cream and it certainly was good.

BLACKBERRY COBBLER

1/4       cup butter, softened
1/2       cup sugar
1           cup flour
2          teaspoons baking powder
1/2       cup milk
2          cups blackberries
3/4      cup raspberry or apple juice (I did use the apple juice)
ice cream or whipped cream (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 1-1/2 quart baking pan. (I used an 8 x 8 - inch baking pan.)


In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar.
Combine flour and baking powder; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir just until moistened.
(I have to honestly say I didn't read the last part and beat it til smooth.)
I added about 1/3 of the flour...
and then half of the milk (1/4 cup)


Pour into pan.
Sprinkle with blackberries. (I placed the blackberries so that I had a single layer
and pressed them down lightly.)

Pour juice over all.

Bake 45 to 50 minutes, or until golden brown.

(Mine was ready after about 35 minutes.)






Serve warm; top with ice cream or whipped cream, if desired.
I cut it in 9 squares.





Oh so yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment