Friday, June 16, 2017

FROZEN STRAWBERRY PUDDING

On the hottest day so far this summer in the Northland, I found the bestest-ever-dessert to enjoy in one of my Amish cookbooks, Wanda E. Brunstetter's Amish Friends Cookbook - Desserts. This is one of my favorite cookbooks as I have made a number of recipes from it. This one simply called Frozen Strawberry Pudding was contributed by Dianna Yoder from Goshen, Indiana.

I made it when Friends Janice, Fran, and Patricia came over for an afternoon of canasta yesterday. I have talked about my desire to win so much when we play canasta and this time it was down to the last hand with Patricia and me only a couple of hundred points down. BUT Janice and Fran had their strongest round of the afternoon to beat us almost 1300 points. Normally I would be pretty "down", but I just can't be after enjoying a serving of this dessert. 

I left the dessert set out for about 30 minutes before I cut it into squares to serve. I thought it might have been about 10 minutes too long when I cut the squares. As it was, some of the squares still had frozen strawberries and we all agreed we would have enjoyed it more had the strawberries not been frozen. So not really sure what I will do next time. I put the leftovers back in the freezer for now. It might look a little nicer cut in squares, but it might look okay spooned out in custard dishes more like pudding.

I recently have been striving to live the Sugar Busters Lifestyle and lose a few pounds I have gained over the last months after two trips we took. So far I am doing great with limiting my sugar intake and have taken off a few pounds. Dianna didn't use ingredients to reduce the calories, but I did and everyone was really happy with the dessert. It is so light and perfect for a hot day. I will present Dianna's recipe and then put my substitutions in parentheses after. I'll let you decide which you want to use.


FROZEN STRAWBERRY PUDDING

1        (8 - ounce) package cream cheese, softened (I used fat free cream cheese)
3/4    cup sugar (I used stevia.)
1        quart strawberries, sliced (I measured 4 cups sliced fresh berries from almost two 1 - lb packages.)
1        (8 - ounce) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed (I used sugar-free frozen whipped topping.)
3       cups miniature marshmallows.

Blend cream cheese and sugar (stevia) until smooth (with electric mixer).

Add strawberries.
(Make sure you distribute the cream cheese mixture thoroughly with the strawberries.)

Add whipped topping. (Make sure you fold the whipped topping in.)

Stir in marshmallows.

Spread in a 9 x 13 - inch dish.





Freeze. (I covered my dish with its lid.)

Remove for about 30 minutes before you want to serve it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment