Tuesday, June 20, 2017

BROWNIE ICE CREAM DESSERT

This is one of those desserts I say after seeing it -
"Now, why didn't I think of that?" I think Friend Julie created this recipe herself. If she told me she saw it somewhere, I don't remember. I do remember that she mentioned considering another recipe to make instead. It really doesn't matter. It is such a creative way to have your brownies and ice cream together. As I said, I can't believe I didn't think of doing this.


I guess I don't have to tell you how much everyone liked it at Tasty Bunch. Julie reduced the calories by using sugar-free ice cream and sugar-free whipped topping. I asked her if she had used a sugar-free brownie mix and canned frosting. She said she didn't. That would have reduced the calories even more. (I am always looking for ways to reduce the calories as much as I can when I make desserts.) She made her own butter cream chocolate frosting, but if you are rushed for time, you could use a can of chocolate frosting - even sugar-free. 


BROWNIE ICE CREAM DESSERT

1         box (9 x 13 - in pan size) brownie mix + ingredients to make according to box directions (sugar-free mix would work)
1         container chocolate frosting (sugar-free one would work) or a butter cream chocolate icing
1         half-gallon favorite ice cream (Julie just used vanilla, but said she would have liked to have used a special one.) You won't use the whole carton.
Whipped topping (sugar-free one works)
Chocolate shavings

Prepare and bake brownie mix following the box directions.

Frost the brownies using either a homemade butter cream chocolate frosting or a container of chocolate frosting in a can when brownies cool.

Place in freezer and freeze about an hour.

Remove ice cream and allow to soften slightly before spreading a layer on top of frozen iced brownies. Julie said she didn't use all of the ice cream. It was probably about an inch thick.

Return to freezer and freeze again for at least an hour.

Spread a thinner layer of whipped topping on the frozen dessert.

Grate chocolate candy over the top of the whipped topping using the larger hole side of the grater. Julie had some individually wrapped chocolate candy she used for this. 

Return to freezer and keep there until 20 minutes before ready to serve.

Remove and allow to soften slightly so that you can cut it into serving pieces.


Here is a great tip for when you are cutting the serving pieces. 

Julie filled a glass with water and after running the knife down through the dessert to cut into 3 squares, she placed the knife in the water while she used a spatula to remove the squares. Then she simply dried the knife off to use it to cut the next squares.





2 comments:

  1. Oh, I can't wait to make this one, but I probably ought to wait until I have others to help me eat it!

    ReplyDelete