Monday, June 12, 2017

GLAZED STRAWBERRY PIE

I couldn't help but make this strawberry pie for my husband with the strawberries so reasonably priced right now in the grocery stores. Seeing the picture in the cookbook, Better Homes and Gardens Favorite Desserts Made Lighter, didn't influence my decision either. 

I'm not sure if I have ever made a strawberry pie before, but it was certainly easy to do. Of course, the strawberries are all uniform in size in the picture and they aren't when you buy them. I hated to do so, but I cut the really large ones (the ones they always place on top of the rest in the clear container) in half. I just had to make sure they were positioned underneath or at least cut-side down when I poured the berries in the crust. 

Speaking of crust, I decided to try the recipe in the same cookbook that they recommended using for the pie. It was very good, I just cooked it too long. The recipe said cook 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Well, you guessed it. Mine was not golden brown so I cooked it for 15 minutes. Mistake. Next time I will remove it golden brown or not. It tasted good, just a little tough.



GLAZED STRAWBERRY PIE

6       cups strawberries, huulled
1        cup water
1/4    cup sugar
2       tablespoons cornstarch
Red food coloring

Baked Oil Pastry Shell (see recipe below)

Prepare Baked Oil Pastry Shell as directed. Cool on a wire rack.


In a food processor bowl or blender container, place 1 cup of the strawberries and water. Cover and process or blend till smooth. (I did use a blender and used the biggest strawberries that I had cut into.)
Transfer to a small saucepan.
Bring to boiling then simmer 2 minutes.


In a 2 - or 3 - quart saucepan stir together sugar and cornstarch.
Stir in berry mixture.
Cook and stir over medium heat till mixture
is thickened and bubbly.
Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
Stir in enough red food coloring to tint
a rich red color. (I added 3 drops)
Cool to room temperature.



Fold remaining strawberries into cooled mixture. (I didn't add all of the strawberries at once. I wanted to make sure they were all covered with the glaze.)
Turn into baked pie shell.
Cover and chill 3 to 4 hours.







If desired serve with a dollop of whipped topping. (We didn't do this. We wanted to enjoy each delicious strawberry.)



OIL PASTRY FOR SINGLE-CRUST PIE

1-1/4       cups flour
1/4          teaspoon salt
1/4          cup skim milk
3             tablespoons cooking oil


In a medium mixing bowl stir together the flour and salt. In a 1 - cup measure combine milk and oil.
Add oil mixture all at once to flour mixture.
Stir with a fork till dough form.
(I worked with my fingers to get a smooth ball.)



On a lightly floured surface, flatten the ball of dough with hands.
Roll dough from center to the edges forming a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
Ease pastry into a 9 - inch pie plate, being careful not to stretch the pastry. (I used my 8-1/2- inch pie plate.)

Trim the pastry to 1/2-inch beyond the edge of the pie plate. Fold under the extra pastry and flute the edge.
Prick bottom and sides of pastry generously with the tines of a fork. Also prick where bottom and sides meet all around pie shell. (Make sure you prick through. I apparently didn't prick deep enough on one side. You can see in my picture how the crust bubbled up.)
Bake in a 450 degree oven for 10 to 12 minutes or til crust is golden. Cool pie crust on a wire rack.
Fill as directed in individual recipes.



2 comments:

  1. what is "skill" milk? or is that a typo? Maybe skim milk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry about the typo. Yes, it is skim milk. I corrected it. Thanks for catching my mistake.

      Delete