Wednesday, June 21, 2017

GREEN RICE

I have enjoyed a lively discussion with my friends who have been in the Kansas City area for many years regarding my purchase of another copy of Stephenson's Apple Farm Restaurant's Receipts cookbook and their memories of certain dishes served at the restaurant. Unfortunately we were not one of those fortunate enough to visit the orchard and restaurant before the original and last one in Independence closed in 2007.

Everyone remembers and talked about how much they enjoyed the Green Rice and the Baked Chicken 'N' Butter and Cream to mention just two of the dishes. So I decided to make both of them last week. I will share the Green Rice in this post and then the Baked Chicken 'N' Butter and Cream in another post. 

I followed the recipe for Green Rice just as it was in the cookbook which meant I made it for my husband. I will have to take his word that he liked it also. I did use brown rice; the recipe just said "rice". I also didn't have a green bell pepper and used a larger orange one and small red one to make 1/4 cup. I did leave out the 1/2 teaspoon of seasoned salt because I didn't have any. We don't use a lot of salt in our cooking and my husband said it was a little more salty than what he likes. Next time I will not use 1 tablespoon of salt in the recipe. I told him I decided to go on and use that much because I didn't add any salt when I cooked the rice.



GREEN RICE

3       cups cooked rice (1 cup uncooked)
1        cup chopped parsley
1/2    cup grated cheddar cheese
1/3    cup chopped onion
1/4    cup chopped green pepper
1        clove garlic, minced
1        14-1/2 oz can evaporated milk
2       eggs, beaten
1/2    cup oil
1        tablespoon salt
1/2    teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2    teaspoon pepper
1/4    teaspoon Accent
Juice and grated rind of 1 lemon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 2 - quart casserole.

Mix rice, parsley, cheese, onion, green pepper, and garlic in a large bowl.

Blend together the rest of the ingredients - milk, eggs, oil, seasonings and lemon juice and rind.

Add to rice
and mix.

Pour into casserole dish.
Sprinkle with paprika.

Bake for about 45 minutes, or until like a soft custard.



No comments:

Post a Comment