Wednesday, June 28, 2017

STEPHENSON'S BAKED CHICKEN 'N' BUTTER AND CREAM

I'm sorry it has taken me a while to get this recipe posted. I made Stephenson's Green Rice which seemed to be a specialty of the house when Stephenson's Apple Farm Restaurant was open and shared it a few weeks ago. Another recipe my friends all talked about was their baked chicken. I couldn't help but laugh because someone who had the cookbook I got at an estate sale had written their own comment (Stephenson had commented "always on our menu") had written "terrible". Since everyone really disagreed with the latter comment, I decided I would give it a try.

Well, my husband and I liked it and didn't consider it "terrible" at all. I'll never know why the person thought it was terrible. My husband thought maybe she had misread the recipe. It wasn't what I was expecting (not sure what that was), but the chicken was nice and moist and had a good flavor.



BAKED CHICKEN 'N' BUTTER AND CREAM

1/2       cup flour
1-1/2    teaspoon salt
1/2       teaspoon paprika
1/4       teaspoon pepper
1           cut-up frying chicken (I did just use chicken breasts that I cut into generous slices.)
1/4       cup butter
1-1/2    cups hot water
1/2       cup nonfat dry milk powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


Dip chicken into water.


Coat with mixture of flour and seasonings.
Put skin side down into 9 x 13 - inch baking pan. (If you are using chicken parts/pieces)
Dot with butter.
Bake for 30 minutes.
Mix water with milk powder.
Pour around chicken.







Bake 1-1/4 hours more or until chicken is tender.




2 comments:

  1. My comments. For authentic results. 1. Use bone on cut up whole chicken. 2. Skin side up. 3. Crowd the chicken together (breast at about 45 degrees, leg/wing on breast then thigh) leaving no empty space in pan. 4. Use real milk or half and half.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe so, I just copied recipe from their cookbook and only changed the cut up chicken. When I was growing up my grandmother, mother, and aunts always cut up a whole chicken. Thanks for your input. Patricia

      Delete