Tuesday, June 27, 2017

INCREDIBLE CAKE

The name, Incredible Cake, may not be very descriptive of this cake, but it certainly names it correctly. The name is what probably drew me to the recipe when I was trying to find a recipe that I could make quickly before going to church Sunday to take to the church's first summer picnic later that day. 

With just a few ingredients, I thought I had everything I needed to make it. As it turned out, I was a little short on the butterscotch chips and just barely had 1/4 cup pecans to chop. But I didn't let any of that keep me from mixing up and baking the cake Sunday morning when I got up. I just finished out the 1/2 cup measuring cup with peanut butter chips - they are the same color and Friend Marilyn said she actually liked the little bit of peanut butter taste with the cake. The cake is rich with the butterscotch taste.

The recipe of Mary Miller came from my Heritage Country Harvest Cookbook of over 700 favorite recipes from the Amish in Northern Indiana. Did you know if you have a problem with wasps in your mailbox, keep several mothballs in it to prevent them from building nests in it? That's the tip on the same page with the recipe. The cookbook is just full of tips and entertaining information. I will have to remember that one. I bet you could try that if you had other places they like to build nests. My husband just panics when he sees wasps building a nest around our house. I think he said when he was young, he got stung a few times by them. That would probably make anyone a little leary of them.

Anyway, the cake is so moist and there were only five small servings left at the end of the picnic. The minister Steve gave me a "thumbs up" when we left. Marilyn and I were discussing the recipe while we ate and considered possibly making it with a different flavor pudding mix. I bet it would work.


INCREDIBLE CAKE

1       box yellow cake mix (you could use a sugar-free yellow cake mix)
2      eggs
1       small box (4-serving size) instant butterscotch pudding mix + 2 cups of milk to prepare it (I used sugar-free instant pudding mix and 2 cups of prepared non-fat powdered milk)

Topping:
1/4    cup chopped pecans
1/2    cup butterscotch chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Prepare pudding mix using 2 cups of milk. 
Add eggs.
Add cake mix and stir/beat with a whisk til batter is smooth.
Pour batter into prepared pan.
Sprinkle nuts on top.
Sprinkle chips on top last.
Bake for 25 - 30 minutes. (I did bake mine for the full 30 minutes.)
Cool before cutting in squares to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment