Tuesday, June 13, 2017

CHOCOLATE BROWNIE CAKE

When I first saw this recipe I knew I had to make it. I wanted to make it for us and use sugar-free ingredients, but when I was ready to make it, I didn't have the sugar-free chocolate cake mix. I did have the sugar-free brownie mix though. This time I decided to go on and make it half sugar-free and then the next time I will make it using the sugar-free mixes. BTW, 60% cacao chips have less sugar than semi-sweet and milk chocolate. 

I made it and took to Hillcrest to share with the volunteers there. As I expected, they loved it. I cut the slices not too thick, so when my shift was over and I went to the community room, there were still pieces left. I asked Bobbie if she had gotten a slice for her husband and gave her one when she said she hadn't. Then Vali came and asked if she could be a hog and get a second piece. So when I left, I had about six thin slices to bring home. I watched for the boys to get home next door and then gave them the rest. I gave it to them on my cake carrier and told them to keep the lid closed so the cake wouldn't dry out (since I had cut the slices). Wyatt told me not to worry, it wouldn't last past the night. My husband liked it so much that he ate two slices before I took it to Hillcrest.

I think you could probably cut the ganache in half and you would have enough icing. I had so much left. I hated the waste.



CHOCOLATE BROWNIE CAKE

1         box chocolate cake mix (sugar-free would work)
1         box fudge brownie mix (sugar-free would work)
4        eggs
1-1/4  cups water
1         cup oil


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a Bundt pan with non-sticking cooking spray.


Combine cake mix ingredients and whisk for about 2 minutes or until most lumps are gone.
(I combined the cake mix and brownie mix together first and broke up the lumps with my fingers
and then added the other ingredients.)


Pour cake batter into prepared pan.


Bake for 50 to 55 minutes. Check donesness with a toothpick.


Cool in pan on a wire rack for about 5 minutes before removing.(I left mine inverted for about 30 minutes before I removed the pan - I had to run an errand.)


Finish cooling on wire rack.





When cool, carefully place cake on cake server
and pour ganache on it letting it run down the sides. (I poured a lot since I had so much, but still had leftovers.)



GANACHE

1         cup heavy whipping cream
1         bag (12-oz) semi-sweet chocolate morsels (I used 60% cacao)


Pour whipping cream in microwavable bowl
and heat in microwave for 2 minutes - just boiling.


Remove from microwave and add the chocolate chips
making sure they are all submerged. Let set for 5 minutes.


Whisk mixture
until shiny and smooth
about a minute. Doesn't take very long at all.


Pour over cooled cake.



Slice to serve.







Thanks to iamabaker.net for the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment