Wednesday, June 7, 2017

EASY CHICKEN POTPIE

It is so much fun for me to get out cookbooks I haven't looked at in a while. (I have so many - I should count them sometimes.) I always find new recipes that look exciting. I can't help but wonder why I didn't see them before. That's what happened to me the other night when I got out about six different Amish cookbooks I have and haven't looked at in a while. Often I found recipes that sounded similar but I hadn't written "blog" by the title which would indicate that I had made and shared it. Then some I found in another one of the cookbooks and "blog" was written by the titles. 

In one cookbook, I found a recipe for chicken pot pie that sounded really delicious. Then I picked up Miriam Miller's Authentic Amish Cooking The Wooden Spoon Cookbook and guess what? I found Mrs. Aaron A. Miller's recipe called Easy Chicken Potpie. It was easier than the other one so that is the one I decided to try.

It was so good. Her recipe used a 9 - inch pie plate, but I decided to make it as two individual pot pies. I used my 2 - cup size French White bowls and after mixing everything, I divided the mixes between the two bowls. It worked out great. We actually only ate half of our "serving", but we just covered the bowls with foil and heated them up and enjoyed them another day.

These potpies are so easy and so tasty. I used a chicken breast that I cooked in the slow cooker, but if you were in a hurry and needed a last minute entree to make, you could use a can of cooked chicken breasts.



EASY CHICKEN POTPIE

1-2/3       cups frozen mixed vegetables
1               cup diced or shredded cooked chicken
1               11 - oz can cream of chicken soup
1               cup Bisquick or other baking mix (I used the latter)
1/2          cup milk (I used skim milk.)
1              egg

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.


Combine the vegetables, chicken, and soup together in a large bowl to completely blend ingredients together.







Spread mixed ingredients in a 9 - inch pie plate is making one big pot pie.
Divide into individual servings if making individual servings. (I used two 2 - cup baking dishes.)


Combine the baking mix, milk, and egg with a fork until blended.
(I combined the milk and egg in a 1 cup glass container
before adding it to the baking mix.) 


Pour mix over the chicken mixer.
(With my OCD, I poured the mixture in a measuring cup so I could divide it evenly between the two bowls.)


Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.

Then enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment