Monday, June 5, 2017

SLOPPY JOES

Remember when I told you about our extra freezer going out and not realizing it until a few 1 lb packages of ground beef had thawed? Well, after giving three to Friend Fran who let us temperorarily store most of our meat in her extra freezer, I kept three extra packages to cook myself. I cooked them each separately because I would know how much was a pound to refreeze. 

The third package I decided to make some Sloppy Joes using a recipe I had gotten from Friend Ellen when the quilters canasta group was at her house. Did you check out her Hummingbird Cake last week? You can't miss that post. Anyway, it turned out so good. We went on and ate part of it for lunch. Since I had already cooked the meat before I decided to give Ellen's recipe a try, my pictures, at least the first one will look a little different. I also added a little water about half way through the simmering process because my meat has so little fat, I thought it needed a little bit more moisture.

My husband wanted to use some sourdough bread we bought at Aldi instead of a bun and I used some Fit & Active Multigrain bread with a little salad dressing that I had.



SLOPPY JOES

1       lb ground beef
1       cup diced celery
1/2   cup diced onion
1       tablespoon brown sugar
2      tablespoons vinegar
1/2   teaspoon dry mustard
3/4  cup ketchup
2      tablespoon flour

Mix all ingredients in saucepan (I used a skillet) and simmer for 30 minutes uncovered. 








No comments:

Post a Comment