Monday, June 26, 2017

ROCKY ROAD CANDY

I missed this treat that Friend Janice made when the quilting canasta group met at her house because we were in CO visiting with our older son and his family. I heard enough about it though. I insisted that she take a picture of it so I could share it with you.

Imagine my surprise when she brought a few pieces out for us to enjoy on our Friday Estate Sale outing recently. She had frozen some of it to enjoy later. After I ate a piece, I insisted she send me the picture she had taken and the recipe so I could share it here. 

It is beyond words. I have found one or two recipes for it in one of my Amish cookbooks that is different. I want to try them and then I will share them with you also. That means you can have fun making an awesome treat sure to become a family favorite two different ways.



ROCKY ROAD CANDY

2       cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
2       tablespoons butter or margarine
1        14 - ounce can sweetened condensed milk
2       cups dry roasted peanuts
1        10 - ounce package miniature marshmallows

Line a 9 x 13 - inch pan with aluminum foil extending the foil over the two ends.

In a heavy saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate chips with butter and sweetened condensed milk. stirring often to melt the chips. Remove from heat.*

In a large bowl, combine the peanuts and marshmallows, then stir in chocolate mixture.

Spread in prepared pan.

Chill for 2 hours or until firm.

Remove from pan and peel away the aluminum foil. 

Cut into squares and store loosely covered at room temperature.

Will freeze well, if you want to save some for later.

*If you prefer the microwave method:

Using a large (quart size) glass container, place chips, butter, and sweetened condensed milk in bowl and heat in microwave on HIGH for 3 minutes - stirring after 1-1/2 minutes. to melt chocolate chips. Continue in 30 second intervals until chips are melted. 

Cool mixture 5 minutes before adding the peanuts and marshmallows.

No comments:

Post a Comment