Friday, January 29, 2021

ORANGE WHOLE WHEAT WAFFLES/PANCAKES

 I can't quit laughing at myself. Determined to make 2021 better than 2020 while we fight this pandemic, I decided I would make Saturday mornings extraordinary for us by making something special for us for breakfast. Being retired especially at this time in our world means most days are light every other day. So why not enjoy a special breakfast. 

Last Friday night I remembered just before going to bed that it was Friday and I hadn't chosen anything to cook for breakfast the next morning. I picked up my Volume One The American Country Inn and Bed & Breakfast Cookbook to find the perfect recipe. We have only stayed at a B & B once (well for 3 nights) and the breakfasts were the best ever! It was in Vermont. So I can't go wrong by checking out a cookbook with recipes from different B & B's around the country.

I found a recipe for waffles that used orange juice for the liquid which was perfect since I had plenty of orange juice I needed to use. We loved them! 

It has been a quite a while since we have made waffles. It has been so long that we couldn't remember how to use the waffle maker. We enjoyed a laugh over that. I sprayed the grills and closed it and flipped the switch to start. After about a minute, I told Wayne I thought we were supposed to add the batter and then close the griddle. Then when they were done, the ready light would come on. That worked fine then. 😉

The recipe said it served 3 to 4 so I expected to make four waffles. Since I have been trying to freeze instead of having leftovers in the refrigerator, this made it even more perfect. We each ate one waffle and then I froze the other two. 

Besides being scrumptious, they were very light tasting but very filling. When we ate a really late lunch around 4ish, I wasn't really hungry. 

So are you still wondering why I am laughing so hard at myself? I decided I needed to write up the recipe in a post to publish Friday and started looking for the recipe in the cookbook. That's why I started laughing. You see the recipe is called Orange Whole Wheat Pancakes not Orange Whole Wheat Waffles. I can't believe I mixed up the ingredients and cooked the batter and never noticed I was supposed to be making pancakes instead of waffles. I'm getting a little concerned about myself. This pandemic had better end soon. When I told Wayne he should be concerned about me and what I had done, his response was, "Well, I think they tasted better as waffles than they would as pancakes." He does know the right thing to say sometimes. 😍

They really were the best! I've been using some Hungarian whole wheat flour that is milled in Denver and I'm loving how "light" tasting everything is that I make using it. I found it at Walmart. (Trust me I am not being paid to recommend this flour.)

The pancake recipe was shared by the Manchester Highlands Inn: The Victorian Inn in Manchester Center, Vermont. You can check it out here. I have never been there; I just like to check out what the Inn or B & B looks like when I chose a recipe from it.



ORANGE WHOLE WHEAT PANCAKES/WAFFLES

2     eggs

1/4  cup oil

2     cups whole wheat flour 

1/2  teaspoon baking soda

1/2  teaspoon salt

1-1/2 to 2 cups orange juice (I used the whole 2 cups)


Beat the eggs and oil together with a whisk.

Sift together the dry ingredients and

add to the eggs.

(This is a mess so I didn't stir the mixture very long before I started to add the orange juice.)

Gradually add the orange juice until you have a batter of the consistency you like.










For pancakes: fry the pancakes on a medium hot griddle and serve immediately. (Obviously I didn't read that sentence.)


For waffles: Fill griddle and

cook til done.

I tried to be creative with my waffle and tried to make a happy face. Maybe that is what my Happy Face looked like at the moment. 😉

If you want to freeze two of the waffles, place them flat on a cookie sheet without touching and put in freezer until frozen.

Then place in a gallon-size freezer bag until you are ready to eat them. Heat up in oven or in microwave.

No comments:

Post a Comment