Monday, January 4, 2021

BEEF DIABLO (SLOW COOKER)

 Well, 2021 is finally here! I have never wanted a year to end as badly as I did 2020. It started out so well with all our traveling on 3 trips by the end of the first week in March and then it became surreal. At least 2020 ended with the approval of three vaccines for COVID-19 so there is finally some hope at least by the summer. Now to just stay safe and well until we can get the vaccine!

I am trying to do some things that will make the year feel better. So since coming back home after visiting with our older son, Jeffrey, and his family for a Christmas in CO (we all self-isolated for 10 days before we went to be safe), I have been trying to stay busy and get some things done that I have been putting off for way-too-long. I am also reestablishing some organizational things I have done in the past. Not sure why, but it all makes me feel better. Maybe more in control of my life. Who knows. 

One thing I am reestablishing is my menu planning. It is a lot easier to do because since we aren't doing anything, I don't have to get out my activities calendar and take those things into consideration. I wrote a post on menu planning back not too long after I started this blog in 2012. You can read it HERE if you like.

I bought a small chuck roast Wednesday when we went to Aldi to get groceries after getting back home. We were out of milk, bread, etc. It was the first time we had been in a store since Dec 16 when we started our self-isolation. It seemed like it had been an eternity instead of only 2 weeks. So when I started making out my menus, I thought I would cook it on New Year's Day. I knew our blackeye peas and cornbread would taste good with it. It didn't take long to make that decision. What took so long was deciding how to cook it. 

I considered using my Instant Pot, cooking it like my mother always did in the oven with a can of golden mushroom soup (but I didn't have the soup), and in the slow cooker. The latter option won when I found a recipe called Beef Diablo that sounded different. It turned out even differently than it was supposed to because I misread the recipe and used dry mustard instead of prepared mustard. Then I didn't have chili sauce so I used chili powder. It tasted good to us though the way I ended up making it. I have written the recipe as it was intended. Do as you wish.

And even though I bought a small roast (1.7 lbs), we have leftovers as planned in my menu planning.




BEEF DIABLO

Boneless chuck roast (Mine was less than 2 lb. Can use a 3 - 4 lb roast)

2 to 3     potatoes, peeled and sliced or cut in chunks

1            onion, sliced (I just sprinkled some dry minced onions over potatoes)

*     *     *

2            tablespoons flour

1            tablespoon prepared mustard 

1            tablespoon chili sauce (I used 1 teaspoon chili powder)

1            tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

1            teaspoon vinegar

1            teaspoon sugar



Spray the slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray for easier cleanup.


Place potatoes and onion in the bottom of the slow cooker.


Place the roast on top with the fat side up.


In a small bowl, make a smooth paste of flour, mustard, chili sauce, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, and sugar. (I used dry mustard, by mistake, for the prepared mustard and chili powder for the chili sauce because I didn't have the sauce.

I then added 3 teaspoons of water to make a mixture I could spread easily over the roast.
)


Spoon the mixture over the roast to cover.


Cook on LOW setting for 10 to 12 hours (on HIGH for 5 to 6 hours.) I cooked mine on HIGH. 


No comments:

Post a Comment