Friday, January 22, 2021

SOUR ORANGE PIE

 Personally, I have never heard of sour oranges. Have you? They are native to Southeast Asia according to what I read. I almost didn't include the word in my title. The thought is enough to turn almost anyone off of this delicious pie. Fortunately Wayne's cousin's wife also shared a picture of her pie when she shared it on Facebook so I knew I had to try it. 

The good new is that the recipe is written for someone who doesn't have sour oranges. I think that's amusing actually. I didn't wait too long before I made it after seeing it...like two days. (I had to go to the store to buy some animal crackers to make the crust. Don't worry if you don't have the animal crackers...just use a graham cracker crust. I almost did.)

I made the pie Wednesday as a celebration for our new president. At first I didn't think we would get to enjoy a piece because I spent all day, it seems, in front of the television. The recipe said to chill at least 3 hours or overnight and that usually means overnight to me. I do want the servings to come out clean. But Wednesday night about dinner time, Wayne asked if he could eat a piece. I reluctantly told him we could try. 

Well, they came out beautifully and tasted good. I was glad we had decided to go on and cut it. Yesterday after a late lunch, we ate another piece. The flavor was stronger and so I would probably suggest making the pie the day before you want to serve it, for that reason.

Thanks Mary for sharing the recipe.



SOUR ORANGE PIE

Crust:

5     oz. animal crackers 

3     tablespoons sugar (I used 1-1/2 tablespoons of stevia blend)

pinch of salt

4     tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (I used just a little bit more so the crumbs would hold together.)

Filling:

1     14-oz can sweetened condensed milk

6      tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed

4      large egg yolks

2      teaspoons grated lemon zest (I used dried lemon peel)

6      tablespoons lemon juice (2 lemons) (I used bottled lemon juice)

1      teaspoon grated orange zest (I used dried orange peel)

pinch of salt

Whipped cream:

3/4   cup heavy cream, chilled

2      tablespoons sugar

1/2   teaspoon grated orange zest

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Oven rack should be in the center of the oven.


Process the animal crackers, sugar and salt in a food processor until finely ground, about 30 seconds.


Add melted butter and plus until combined.


Transfer to a 9 - inch pie plate.

Using the bottom of a dry measuring cup,

press crumbs firmly into bottom and up the sides of the pie plate.

Bake crust until fragrant and beginning to brown, about 12 to 14 minutes.

Let cool completely on wire rack, about 30 minutes.


Whisk all of the ingredients for the filling in a bowl until

fully combined.

Pour filling into cooled crust. (I used one of my mother's pie plates that is only 8-1/2 inches. I thought the filling was going to overflow the crust, but it didn't. The pie plate also fits in my plastic pie keeper.)


Bake the pie until the center jiggles slightly when shaken, about 15 - 17 minutes. (I just took the pie out after 15 minutes.) Let cool completely on the wire rack.

Refrigerate until fully chilled, at least 3 hours or cover with greased plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. I have a pie plate cover/carrier that I put the pie in and chilled in refrigerator 3+ hours and then cut to serve. I stored the pie in the refrigerator in the carrier.


To make the whipped cream, whisk cream, sugar, and orange zest in a medium bowl until stiff peaks form, 2 - 4 minutes. Can put a dollop of the whipped cream on the slice of pie to serve. (I didn't make the whipped cream. We enjoy the pie by itself. I did put a dollop of purchased whipped cream on a slice for a picture - and to eat.)



***If you do have sour oranges, use 3/4 cup of strained sour orange juice for the orange and lemon juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment