Wednesday, January 13, 2021

CHOCOLATE CHIP CHIFFON CAKE

It has been a few weeks since I made an Amish recipe but when I was trying to find something to take to Hillcrest Thrift Shop for the volunteers for MondayI didn't have to look any farther than Mrs. Elmer W. Yoder's (from IN)  Chocolate Chip Chiffon Cake in my Art of Amish Cooking Cookbook. I think this is my first chiffon cake to make. It was a nice thick cake and just as delicious.

When I walked in the shop Monday morning Manager Jim saw me and followed me into the community room. As soon as I got plates, forks, and napkins out, he took a piece and said he needed something sweet. I think it was gone in four bites! Later I went in the room to get a drink of water and Volunteers Terry and John said they gave the cake "two thumbs up"!

I ran out of powdered sugar so I ended up just icing the cake with a chocolate icing I had purchased. Grating the chocolate squares was not my favorite part of the preparations but it does give a nice appearance in the cake.



CHOCOLATE CHIP CHIFFON CAKE

2       eggs, separated

1-1/2 cups sugar

2-1/4 cups sifted cake flour (sift some and then measure)

3       teaspoons baking powder

2       squares semi-sweet chocolate, grated

1       teaspoon salt

1/3    cup oil

1       cup milk

1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla



Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and dust with flour 2 round cake pans (8 or 9 inches) or a 9 x 13 - inch baking pan. Set aside.




Beat egg white until frothy.

Gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar.

Continue beating until very stiff and glossy.

Sift remaining sugar (1 cup), flour, baking powder, and salt in another bowl.

Add oil, half of milk (1/2 cup), and flavoring.

Beat 1 minute,

scraping the sides and especially the bottom of the bowl often.

Add remaining 1/2 cup milk and egg yolks.

Beat 1 more minute, again scraping the bowl often.

Fold in meringue.


Fold in grated squares of semi-sweet chocolate.


(Note...manufacturers are making the blocks different now with chocolate. Make sure you read the conversion information on the package.)


Pour batter into prepared pan(s).

Bake layer pans for 30 minutes and 45 minutes for larger pan.

Cool completely in pan on wire rack.


Frost with your favorite chocolate icing.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment