Tuesday, January 26, 2021

AMISH WASHBOARD COOKIES

 I don't often take cookies to Hillcrest Thrift Shop for the volunteers, but I saw this recipe for Washboard Cookies in my latest addition to my Amish cookbook collection that Friend Jean found at the thrift shop. The recipe was contributed by Mrs. Erwin Miller in the Amish Country Cooking by the Amish of the West Kootenai of Rexford, Montana. I am so excited about having it in my collection. 

The Amish often name recipes for a reason. I bet they make these delicious cookies on "Wash Day". It wasn't "wash day" for me but my cookie jar had been empty for at least a week and the recipe made enough I could keep at least a dozen at home and not feel guilty. The only change I made for the recipe is substituting dried cranberries for the raisins. I rarely keep raisins in my pantry so this is a common substitution I make. Another thing I want to mention is make sure you sift some flour and then measure out the amount of flour you need. I know most flours say "pre-sifted" on the bag, but you still need to sift before you measure.

The cookies were a big hit at the shop and at our house. 



WASHBOARD COOKIES

1        cup sugar

1        cup brown sugar

1        cup butter (2 sticks), at room temperature

2        beaten eggs

3-1/4  cups sifted flour (sift flour before measuring)

2        teaspoons cream of tartar

2        teaspoons baking soda

1        teaspoon vanilla

1        teaspoon lemon flavoring

1        cup raisins (I used dried cranberries)

1/2     cup chopped nut

1/2     cup coconut


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. I lined two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.


Cream sugars and butter til

completely blended.

Add beaten eggs and beat

til smooth.

Add flavorings.

Sift some flour and measure out 3-1/4 cups. Add flour with the cream of tartar and baking soda in a bowl and blend with a whisk.

Add flour mixture to sugar mixture a little at a time and

beat til blended.

Add raisins or dried cranberries along with the nuts and coconut. Stir til blended.

Using a small cookie scoop, round dough and place on cookie sheet.

Flatten.

Cookies do spread when they bake so don't crowd them on the cookie sheet.

They will separate nicely if they run together as they bake. Bake 12 minutes and remove cookies to cool on wire racks.

No comments:

Post a Comment