Monday, January 25, 2021

WHITE-BEAN SOUP

 One meal I can't help but think of when the temperatures start dropping is a bowl of soup along with a big piece of cornbread. I don't necessarily have a favorite but must admit a good vegetable beef soup and ham and bean soup are probably my preference. 

Recently when I was going through a small tub of loose recipes I had saved, I saw this recipe for White-Bean Soup that called for white navy or kidney beans. I couldn't find either so I just settled for Great Northern Beans. The recipe only called for 1 can but we like a lot of beans in our bean soup so I added two cans (15.5 ounces each) You can certainly double the recipe if you have a larger family or are just serving more than four.

It always amazes me how a simple bowl of bean and ham soup can make me feel like I have eaten a big 4 - course meal. This soup was so delicious and didn't taste like any bean and ham soup I have eaten. I think it must have been the thyme in it. The chicken gravy mix was also a surprise. 

The recipe made about 5 servings so we enjoyed it for two days and still have the last bowl left. I wonder who will get to eat it?



WHITE-BEAN SOUP

2     tablespoons butter

1/3  cup diced celery

1/3  cup diced carrot

1/3  cup diced onion

1     teaspoon minced garlic

1     can (16 ounces) white navy or kidney beans (I used 2 can of Great Northern Beans)

1/2  teaspoon dried thyme

1/4  teaspoon pepper

2     cups water

1     package (7/8 ounces) chicken gravy mix (I used half of a 1.7 ounce packet)

8     ounces smoked sausages or ham, diced (1-1/2 cups)



Melt butter in medium -size saucepan over medium-low heat. Add celery, carrot, onion, and garlic; stir to mix well.

Cover and cook 5 minutes or until vegetables are almost tender.

Add remaining ingredients;








bring to boil over medium-high heat.







Reduce heat,


cover and simmer 15 minutes for flavors to blend. (I let mine simmer for a longer period of time waiting to make and bake my cornbread. 😀)

I didn't, but if you wanted to you could mash a few of the beans along the side of the pan with a fork or wooden spoon and simmer 5 more minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment