Thursday, January 7, 2021

APPLE CRUMB SQUARES

 

Yesterday morning was such a bright day for me even though it was cloudy and raining slightly. I had a good report from my dental appointment and they appreciated the cookies I had made. I even went by Costco and filled up my car before taking some of the cookies by Friend Fran's house for her to enjoy. I got home and Wayne was cooking bacon and asked me if I wanted some. I decided to eat a strip along with one of the Cranberry Muffins we still have and call it lunch.

Then my last shread of innocence was robbed from me. My beautiful day had all of a sudden turned very dark. I am still numb about what we watched that was going on in our nation's capital. We have been on a tour of the capitol and I know how beautiful it is and how respectful everyone is when in there and I was just in disbelief of what was taking place there and then this morning seeing what it looks like this morning. I haven't stopped praying for our country and my hope that in 2021 people will become kind again and care for their neighbors and we will come together again as a community. I know it's going to take some strong leadership and a lot of hard work by everyone, but I still pray it will happen.

Fortunately I wrote the recipe for this Apple Crumb Squares Monday afternoon after I got home from Hillcrest Thrift Shop. I got the recipe from the Famous Brand Name Gifts from the Christmas Kitchen cookbook. It was super easy as I really wasn't in the mood to spend a lot of time in the kitchen Sunday evening after a full day and a surprise visit from our younger son, Patrick, and grandkids Madison and Tyler. It was so good to see them as we had not seen them since December 16. We had such a good visit and I am already looking forward to our next visit whenever it happens to be. Winter in Kansas City, MO is never predictable so who knows.  



APPLE CRUMB SQUARES

2       cups oats (quick or old fashioned) (I used old fashioned oats)

1-1/2 cups flour

1       cup packed brown sugar

3/4    cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter, melted

1       teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2    teaspoon baking soda

1/2    teaspoon salt (optional)

1/4    teaspoon ground nutmeg

1       cup unsweetened applesauce

1/2    cup chopped nuts (I used walnuts)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray a 9 x 13 - inch pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.


In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, baking soda, and salt if you are using it until well blended.

Add melted butter and

stir until crumbly.

Reserve one cup of the mixture and set aside.

Press remaining mixture to cover the bottom of the pan.

(TIP: Press mixture using a fork.

It's easy to move mixture to fill in low places.)

Bake 13 to 15 minutes; cool in pan about 15 minutes on a wire rack.

Spread the applesauce evenly over the partially baked crust.

Sprinkle the nuts over applesauce.

Sprinkle reserved 1 cup oats mixture over top.

Return pan to oven and bake 13 to 15 minutes more minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on wire rack;

cut in squares when ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment