Monday, January 18, 2021

AMISH BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

 So far this year I have made Saturday mornings special for us by getting up and making some special treat for us for breakfast. When you are retired, every day is just another day. Before the virus at least Sundays were special. Now with online viewing of our worship service available Saturday morning, unless the Kansas City Chiefs NFL football team is playing, Sunday can easily become just another day. 

This past weekend or I should say on Friday evening as we went to bed to watch late-night news, I was flipping through a couple of cookbooks looking for something to make the next morning. As it was I found two recipes - these blueberry muffins and some orange muffins. I waited until Saturday morning to ask Wayne which ones he preferred. He said either ones. I then told him he would probably prefer the blueberry muffins because they were equal whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour and were regular size muffins; the orange ones were mini-muffins.

 I should have said I found three recipes instead of two. The blueberry muffin recipes I used I found in my latest Amish Cookbook that Friend Jean found at Hillcrest Thrift Shop for me. I don't think the cookbook had ever been used. It is called Amish Country Cooking, By the Amish of the West Kootenai, Rexford, Montana. On page 30 was Miss Esther Yoder's recipe for Blueberry Muffins. Then right after on page 31 was her recipe for Blueberry Puffs. She used the same basic recipe but the Muffins were regular size muffins and the Puffs were mini-muffins that she dipped the muffin tops in melted butter and then the cinnamon-sugar. I decided I would make the regular sized muffins and dip them in the butter and cinnamon-sugar. They turned out great!

The recipe made 11 perfect muffins for me and the amounts for the butter and cinnamon-sugar mixture worked out fine too. 

Wayne described them perfectly when he said they were so light. Muffins can be heavy but not these. I ended up taking three over to Friend Fran's house. I included the third one for her grandson who had spent the night with her. Within 5 minutes I was getting a text form Fran saying..."Great muffins! Jude gobbled his right up. They taste so good." 



AMISH BLUEBERRY MUFFINS

1     egg

3/4  cup milk

1/2  cup oil

1     cup whole wheat flour flour

1     cup all-purpose flour

1/3  cup sugar

3     teaspoons baking powder

1     teaspoon salt

1     cup fresh or canned blue berries, drained or 3/4  cup frozen blueberries, thawed, and well drained (I used 1 cup fresh frozen blueberries)

*     *     *

1/4   cup butter melted

1/3   cup sugar

1/2   teaspoon ground cinnamon 



Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease bottoms only of about 12 medium muffin cups. Set aside.


Beat egg in a large mixing bowl.

Whisk in milk and oil.

Whisk together the flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt in another bowl.

Stir flour mixture into the egg mixture and

stir just until moistened (batter will be lumpy).

Fold in blueberries.


Fill muffin cups about 3/4 full. (I made 11 muffins.)

Bake until golden brown, about 20 minutes.


While muffins are cooking, melt butter. Combine the sugar and cinnamon in another bowl.


Remove the muffins as soon as you remove from oven. I ran a knife around the inside edges to release easily.

Quickly dip tops of muffins in the melted butter and

then in the sugar/cinnamon mixture. I tilted the bowl and rolled the muffin top in the latter.

Set upright on wire rack to cool. Store in closed container.


If you don't want to top them with the cinnamon-sugar, they will look like this.

(I said I used fresh frozen blueberries. These were blueberries I bought and froze in a gallon freezer bag. I removed 1 cup and spread them out on a paper towel. I didn't thaw them, but before I put the blueberries in the mixture I made sure there were no ice crystals on the berries.


No comments:

Post a Comment