Thursday, January 14, 2021

CRANBERRY-ORANGE SCONES

 When I decided to start planning my menus for 2021, I thought, even though we are retired and the weekend days are just like the days of the week, it would be nice if I made something special Saturday mornings for us for breakfast. On the first Saturday of January I made those awesome Cranberry Nut Muffins. Last Saturday I made these spectacular Cranberry-Orange Scones. We love anything cranberry-orange and these scones didn't disappoint us at all.

I'm not familiar with square scones. Usually if they have a shape other than round, they are triangles. But these scones from HyVee's magazine, a supermarket nearby, were patted out into a 9 - inch square and then cut into 9 smaller squares. 

I am also so glad they stated that the dough would be crumbly. Otherwise I would have thought I needed more whipping cream. The dough mainly stayed together as I patted it into a 9 - inch square and also when they baked. 

I stored the leftovers in a plastic storage container with a lid. I just heat them up in the microwave for 20 seconds to enjoy them slightly warm.

They are so delicious with my Greek yogurt for breakfast.



CRANBERRY-ORANGE SCONES

2-3/4    cups flour

1/2       cup + 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided

1          tablespoon baking powder

1/2       teaspoon salt

6          tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into bits

2          tablespoons freshly grated orange zest from 2 medium oranges (I used dried orange peel instead)

2          tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice

1          teaspoon minced fresh ginger (I used ground ginger)

2          cups cranberries , fresh or thawed from frozen (I used fresh)

1          large egg

1          large egg yolk

1/2       cup heavy whipping cream


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.


In a food processor, pulse flour,1/2 cup sugar, baking powder, salt, butter, zest, orange juice, and ginger until

mixture resembles coarse meal.

Transfer mixture to a large bowl.

In a small bowl, toss together cranberries and 2 tablespoons sugar.

Stir into flour mixture.


In another small bowl, lightly beat whole egg and egg yolk;


stir in cream.

Add egg mixture to flour and cranberry mixture and

stir until just combined. Dough will be very crumbly.

On a well-floured surface with floured hands,

pat dough into a 9 - inch square. With a long knife dipped in flour, cut dough into 3 - inch squares.

Arrange squares 1 inch apart on baking sheet.

Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon sugar.


Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until light golden.

Transfer to wire racks to cool. 



Best warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment