Thursday, December 31, 2020

GLORIA'S EASY OLD-FASHIONED BUTTERSCOTCH CHRISTMAS CANDY

 Day 6 of my "Gifts from my Kitchen" posts that I made to share with my friends and neighbors. I shortened the name when I shared it with my neighbors to Amish Cracker Candy, but Gloria Yoder of Flatrock, Illinois actually call it Old-Fashioned Butterscotch Christmas Candy. You can read more about it and her family HERE on Kevin Williams' Amish 365 blog. 

I made this candy three times. It is so easy and so good. Wayne really enjoys it. The first time I made it, I used dark chocolate chips. The second time, I decided to get creative and sprinkled half of the crackers with dark chocolate chips and the other half with peanut butter chips. The peanut butter chips didn't melt as nicely as the chocolate so I had to work a little harder spreading them. I ended up spreading the peanut butter into the chocolate. The last time I decided to use an 11-oz package of butterscotch chips. Just like the peanut butter, the butterscotch chips were not ready to spread after 3 minutes. I had to wait almost 10 minutes. I did discover that if I used a plastic knife I could smash the chips and spread them better than anything else I tried to spread the chips with. (Wayne really liked the last ones.) I also used both cinnamon graham crackers and honey graham crackers. Gloria says you can also use saltine crackers.



GLORIA'S EASY OLD-FASHIONED BUTTERSCOTCH CHRISTMAS CANDY

About 1-1/2 sleeves of graham crackers  (or saltines) (I used cinnamon graham crackers and honey graham crackers)

1       cup (2 sticks) butter (Use 1/2 cup or 1 stick for crunchier crackers) (I decided to use 1-1/2 sticks - 3/4 cup)

1       cup brown sugar

1-1/2 cups chips (chocolate, butterscotch, peanut butter) (I used closer to 2 cups.)


Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper.


Cover the bottom of the jelly roll pan with graham crackers edges touching.


Add the butter and brown sugar to a medium sized saucepan and

melt butter and brown sugar over medium heat.

Bring mixture to a rolling boil.

(I stirred my constantly to this point.)

Boil for 3 minutes.

Remove from heat and

pour the mixture over the crackers covering them completely.

(Don't pour all of the mixture in the center so it will be easier to spread.


Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and set on wire rack.

Immediately sprinkle chips over hot "crackers" and let set for 3 minutes (more like 10 minutes if using peanut butter or butterscotch chips).

Spread melted chips (They won't look like they are melted, but they are.) over top.

(I found that a plastic knife worked best in spreading the butterscotch and peanut butter chips.)


Cool completely and

then break into sized pieces of your choice.








I can't believe I didn't take a final picture of the butterscotch chips one but I didn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment