Thursday, December 3, 2020

ISABELLAS

We had been living in CA two years when I saved this recipe from the Los Angeles Times newspaper. The recipe from Lu Carlos from Temecula was in a section called My Best Recipe. Lu noted "These oatmeal crispies have been renamed, first to honor the donor in La Grange, Illinois, and secondly, because nobody will believe that they are made with oatmeal. They are so simple to make, healthful and appropriate for any occasion. Compliments are guaranteed."

I don't think I ever made them, but I had folded the half page from the newspaper and put it in my folder of recipe to try. I made them while Jay and Justin were doing the remodeling projects and they helped us eat them up. The recipe made almost 3 dozen melt in your mouth cookies.

Since I was making these for us, I cut back on the sugar by using the stevia blend which only uses 1/2 of the amount of sugar called for in the recipe by pyure. I could have easily just used the 1/2 cup of sugar since it wasn't that much. The cookies might have spread a little bit more like the ones in the newspaper did, but we enjoyed the treat without feeling guilty.



ISABELLAS

1        cup butter, at room temperature (2 sticks)

1/2     cup sugar (I used 1/4 cup pyure all-purpose stevia blend)

1        teaspoon vanilla

1-1/4  cups flour

1-1/2  cups oats (I used quick oats)

Dash of salt, optional

Powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.


Cream butter and sugar until light. Don't forget to scrape the sides of the bowl.

Mix in vanilla, then flour, oats, and salt. Chill thoroughly. (about 30 minutes)

Shape into small balls (use a small cookie scoop) and place 3 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet. Flatten using crisscross indentations with fork.


Bake 12 to 15 minutes.

Remove from sheet to cool on wire rack.

Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.


 





No comments:

Post a Comment