Monday, December 7, 2020

INSTANT POT 101: SWEET POTATOES

 Wayne and I love sweet potatoes! I don't know of a way we won't eat them. His favorite way (and maybe mine, too) is using a recipe (Sweet Potato Souffle)we were given from friends in CA, Joyce and Stephen. They served it to us when we shared a Thanksgiving dinner with them and a few other friends. Since then it has been included in our Thanksgiving menu 90% of the time. We also just love them plain, baked, with butter. 

The last couple of years we have enjoyed Thanksgiving with our younger son Patrick and his family. I usually bring the cornbread dressing, sweet potatoes, and a pecan pie. Since I am a recent owner of an Instant Pot, I wanted to cook the sweet potatoes in it.

I belong to a group on Facebook for Instant Pot Beginners. Fortunately there are members who are not newbies who help to give good advice when questions are asked. I read a number of ways that people were suggesting how to cook them, but chose one person and "talked" back and forth to her to know specially what to do. Saying that, you may have your own way of cooking sweet potatoes in the IP. I am sharing what I did and know that it worked.

Sorry I don't remember her name so I will call her Jane. Jane cooked her potatoes for 50 minutes but she was making a sweet potato pie and wanted to make sure they were soft. I told her I was going to "candy" mine so she suggested I cook them for 25 minutes. Personally, they were soft enough after 25 minutes plus release time to make a pie, so depending on what you plan to do with the sweet potatoes after they cook, you might try 20 minutes. They did hold up even though they were totally done for me to quarter them and cook them with a glaze. 

I also cooked 3 lbs of sweet potatoes and you might not want to cook that many. According to my information for my IP, you don't cook them a longer or shorter cooking time due to the amount of potatoes you are using.


COOKING SWEET POTATOES IN THE IP

    

Sweet potatoes (I had 3 lbs - about 6 or 7 sweet potatoes. but for any amount)

1-1/2     cups chicken broth 


Wash the sweet potatoes. Pour the broth in the inner pot. Using the metal rack that comes with the IP, place potatoes on it, and place down in the inner pot.

Cover with lid.

Press the Pressure Cooker button (some pots it is the manual button).

Add minutes to timer to show 25 minutes.

Timer will reset to ON. It will take about 10 minutes for the pressure to build.

Then the timer will show 25 minutes again and potatoes will start cooking.

Add the end of the 25 minutes (timer will show 0:00 and then start counting up a minute at a time).

Allow the IP to Natural Release for 10 minutes. (In other words, do nothing - I got busy and didn't check it for 11 minutes.) Then do a Quick Release, (press vent lever/button on top of lid).

It took about 3 minutes for all of the steam to vent. (The Float Valve - the silver button will be down.) Press Cancel (to stop the timer).

Open lid,

place lid in handle opening,

and remove potatoes in rack. 

I then placed the cooked potatoes on a cookie sheet to

pull the pealing off. You can do whatever you wish with the cooked potato now. If you were just serving them as baked sweet potatoes, you could just put them on a platter or individual plates peeling and all.


If you would like to see the recipe I used to make Candied Sweet Potatoes, check it out HERE. Here is a picture of what the dish looked like. Oh My Gosh! They were so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment