Tuesday, December 8, 2020

APPLE FRITTER BREAD

 It is really hard for me to pass up an apple fritter at the donut shop! Fortunately we don't go to donut shops often any more. Knowing how many calories are in one helps me stay in control most of the time. Knowing this, you can imagine how I felt when I saw this recipe for Apple Fritter Bread. I thought if I made it for the volunteers at Hillcrest Thrift Shop, I can control how much I eat of it. 

When I make the goodies on Sunday afternoon that I am going to take the next day, we will eat our one serving each that evening or I just leave them at home the next morning. 99.9% of the time if there are any servings left in the pan or plate when I get ready to leave to come back home, I put them on a paper plate and leave them at the shop.

One of the volunteers told me how much he loves cinnamon in things and that I got just the right amount in this bread. I think he knows what he likes. 



APPLE BRITTER BREAD

1/3       cup brown sugar

1          teaspoon cinnamon

2/3       cup white sugar

1/2       cup butter, softened (or at room temperature) - 1 stick

2          eggs

1-1/2    teaspoons vanilla

1-1/2    cups flour

1-3/4    teaspoons baking powder

1/2       cup milk

2          apples, peeled, and chopped or grated mixed with 2 tablespoons sugar + 1 teaspoon cinnamon

OLD FASHIONED GLAZE

1/2       cup powdered sugar (sifted)

1-3       tablespoons milk depending on thickness desired 


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9 x 5 - inch loaf pan with nonsticking cooking spray. Set aside.


Mix the first two ingredients - the brown sugar and cinnamon -  in a bowl with a fork. Set aside.


Beat the white sugar and butter until smooth and creamy.

Add the eggs one at a time until blended.


Add vanilla.

Combine the flour and baking powder in a separate bowl with a whisk.



Add to the creamed mixture and stir to combine and blend well. Mix in the milk and blend til smooth. (Can't find the pictures. The end result is all I have.)


Poor half of the mixture into pan. Top half of the apple mixture.



NOTE: I prepared each apple separately by grating it and

added 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 a teaspoon of the cinnamon to it. I waited to grate the second apple after I had topped the batter with the first apple. Maybe that's why I got the cinnamon just the right amount. 😉 


Top with half of the apple/cinnamon mixture (one apple mixture for me


Sprinkle half of the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture over the apple mixture.

Press lightly into batter.


Carefully pour rest of batter over the mixtures.

Top with rest (second apple) of the apple mixture.

Then the rest of the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture.

Lightly pat into batter.

Using a knife or spoon swirl the brown sugar/cinnamon mixture thru the apples. This is to give the top of it that apple fritter look.




Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until tests done with a toothpick.

Place on wire rack to cool for 15 minutes 


Make the glaze by adding the milk 1 tablespoon at a time until you have the desired consistency you want.

(I just used 1 tablespoon.)

After 15 minutes since removing the loaf, drizzle the glaze over the top.


Allow to cool and then remove the loaf from the pan.

Wrap in foil and store in the refrigerator.


Cut in slices to serve. I didn't do a great job of putting half of the batter in the first time so the first layer of apples were closer to the bottom. Didn't ruin the taste, just messed with my perfectionism. 

No comments:

Post a Comment