Friday, December 18, 2020

ORCHARD FRUIT BREAD

2020  is one of those years straight out of the record books. Some records that have been set this year are not ones we ever hope to break, but there are some nice ones. One such record we set here in Kansas City last week was for breaking our record high temperature for the day in December. It was 68 degrees F. We actually had another one a few days later. Our normal high is 42 degrees F. with 25 being our normal low.

Knowing we wouldn't have any/many of those days again this year, my canasta group of friends decided to get together one last time (for 2020) in Friend Ellen's driveway wearing our masks and sitting at least 6 feet apart. It was a beautiful day; not a cloud in the sky! I had on a scoop-necked cotton knit top and a vest. When I got home I noticed I had gotten a little tan on my neck. 

Knowing it was the last time this year we would gather together (Sharon is looking into starting a zoom group for us.), I decided to bake a little something to take to everyone. Of course it was a new recipe for me, but it came out of a Famous Brand Name Gifts from the Christmas Kitchen cookbook so I figured it had to be good. 

The recipe made 1 loaf but I thought I would use my 6 - cup Bundt muffin pan and make each one of them a mini-Bundt muffin. They did look cute as they came out so nicely.


ORCHARD FRUIT BREAD

3       cups all-purpose flour or oat flour blend

2/3    cup sugar

1       teaspoon baking soda

2       eggs, beaten

1       carton (8 ounces) lemon lowfat yogurt

1/3    cup oil

1       teaspoon grated lemon peel (I used dried lemon peel)

1       can (15 ounces) lite fruit cocktail, drained

1/2    cup chopped walnuts or pecans


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 5 - inch loaf pan or a muffin pan. I used the muffin pan and had enough to make one mini loaf for us.


Drain the fruit cocktail.


Combine the flour, sugar, and baking soda with a whisk. Set aside.


Beat eggs and

blend with the yogurt, oil, and lemon.


Make a well in the flour mixture and 


add the egg mixture to dry ingredients along with the fruit cocktail and nuts.

Stir just enough to blend.


Spoon into loaf pan or muffin pan.

Bake 60 to 70 minutes or until the bread test done with a toothpick for the large loaf. For muffins, bake til done about 15 - 20 minutes depending on size of muffins. Let stand in pan 10 minutes before removing.

Turn out onto wire rack to cool completely.


I made a glaze with powdered sugar and some of the liquid I drained from the fruit cocktail (even though it was water, it had a fruit taste) to drizzle

over the muffins and

the mini loaf I also made with the batter.










I think homemade gifts at Christmas are more meaningful to family and friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment