Friday, December 11, 2020

BANANA GINGERBREAD

 As you might know I have my list of recipes to try ASAP, but that doesn't mean I quit looking at "new" ones. I actually found this recipe in my Blue Binder when I was rechecking one I had written down. The recipe was a 1990 $100 WINNER for Better Homes and Gardens for then 14 - year old Deanna Burch of Mentone, Indiana. 

I was trying to find just the perfect thing to take to Hillcrest Thrift Shop and the recipe caught my eye. I had two bananas that seemed to be just what the recipe was calling for. The recipe called for 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons of ground ginger so I used the full amount because I love gingerbread and I wanted to taste the gingerbread more than the bananas. It worked, too. I could hardly taste any banana. Deanna made three mini loaves which would be great for gifts, but I made one large loaf since I was taking it to the thrift shop.


BANANA GINGERBREAD

2-1/4          cups flour, divided

1/2             cup sugar

1-1/2  to 2  teaspoons ground ginger

1                teaspoon baking powder

1                teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2             teaspoon baking soda

1/4             teaspoon salt

1                cup mashed ripe banana (2 to 3 medium bananas)

1/2             cup butter-flavored shortening or butter (I used a stick of butter, at room temperature)

1/2             cup molasses

3                eggs

1/2             cup chopped walnuts or almonds (I used walnuts)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease three mini-loaf pans or one 9 x 5 - inch loaf pan. Set aside.

(Scrape the sides of the bowl often during the preparation.)

In a large mixer bowl combine 1 cup of the flour, the sugar, ginger, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. 


Add the mashed banana, shortening or butter, and molasses.

Beat with an electric mixer on low speed till blended;

then increase speed to high and beat for 2 minutes.

Add remaining flour and eggs;

beat till blended.

Stir in nuts.


Pour the batter into the loaf pan or divide the batter evenly into the three mini-loaf pans.

Bake for 50 to 60 minutes (large loaf) or for 40 minutes for the mini-loaves. Test doneness by inserting a toothpick near the center and comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes on a wire rack before

removing from pan(s). 

No comments:

Post a Comment