Monday, February 1, 2021

HONEY LEMON SOAKED CAKE

 I know several volunteers at Hillcrest Thrift Shop are waiting for this post. They asked me if the recipe was going to be on my blog last Monday and I told them, "Yes, next Monday." I found the recipe several weeks ago and finally got around to making it the evening before so I could take it last Monday. 

Honey Lemon Soaked Cake is a favorite at The Inn at Union Square in San Francisco, CA. It was definitely soaked and quite tasty! The recipe calls for a 6 - cup tube pan. I had a small Bundt pan that said it was 6 cups. The batter filled it quite full and I was a little concerned when I made it. As it baked, it did rise above the top of the pan but sank some as it cooled. You might want to check the size of your pan.



HONEY LEMON SOAKED CAKE

1/2     cup (1 stick) butter

1/2     cup sugar

2        eggs

3/4     cup honey

     *     *     *

2-1/2  cups flour

2        teaspoons baking powder

1        teaspoon salt

1/2     teaspoon baking soda

     *     *     *

1/2     cup milk

     *     *     *

1/4     cup honey

1/2     cup fresh lemon juice

     *     *     *

Powdered sugar


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 6 - cup tube pan. Set aside.


In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar til smooth.

Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each egg.

Blend in 3/4 cup honey.

Set aside.


Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Add to the creamed mixture alternately with the milk beginning and ending with the flour mixture.



Beat until well blended.


Pour into pan and bake for 45 to 50 minutes.

Cool in the pan 10 minutes.

Remove from the pan onto a cooling rack with waxed paper underneath. (I went on and put the cake on the base of my cake cover so the cake wouldn't break as I tried to transfer it there afterwards.)

Pierce the warm cake with a long-tined fork.

Warm 1/4 cup honey in a small saucepan, combine with lemon juice and

spoon over the cake.


Cool completely and sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving. I covered my cake overnight and

served it the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment