Thursday, February 18, 2021

CHICKEN-TORTELLINI SOUP

 

Last week I looked through one of my cookbooks for main dishes that I could use with my menu planning and wrote them down on my notepad. This Chicken-Tortellini Soup was one of them. All I needed to do was pick a day in the month to make it knowing we would probably get two days out of it for leftovers. 

We have been experiencing the longest and coldest spell of winter that Kansas City has seen in a long time. We went for more than a week with temperatures below freezing or I should say in single digits. Two days our high temperature was just above 0.

I don't know about you, but those temperatures can only mean one thing -- Soup. So Sunday found me in the kitchen making this yummy soup. When I plan my menus, I don't plan the same leftovers two days in a row. I warmed up some yesterday for us and we will have it again on Friday. I might have to add some chicken broth to it when I warm it up to have enough liquid, but I can make a cup using a cup of boiling water and a chicken bouillon cube. I do that all the time.



CHICKEN-TORTELLINI SOUP

1     lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed

9     oz pkg, cheese tortellini, uncooked

46   oz can chicken broth

1     cup carrots, peeled and chopped

1/2  cup onion, chopped (I omitted)

1/2  cup celery, sliced

1/2  teaspoon dried thyme

1/4  teaspoon pepper

1     bay leaf


While I cooked the chicken tenders in a pot of hot water, I cooked the carrots and celery in 2 cups of chicken broth.


When the chicken was done, I cut it into cubes and add it to my big soup pot.

I added the carrots, celery, and broth and

the rest of the broth along with the spices.


I brought the  broth to a boil and

then added the frozen tortellini and

simmered it until tortellini was done.

Remove the bay leaf and serve.


Season with a little more black pepper.


No comments:

Post a Comment